1 Man Crew, Large Rug UNDER Bed?!

OceanClnrs

Dec 17, 2018
Real Name
Sandy Henriquez
Hey Guys,

Quick question... wondering if any of you have come up with any creative solutions!

As a newer business, we can't afford extra help right now... yet we are finding that often times folk need us to pull large rugs from under heavy furniture! We are a 1 man crew.

Luckily, we have managed to get through it so far. But for example, Wednesday we have a 10 × 14 heavy wool rug to deliver and Custy has asked to help us put the rug under a heavy Cal King bed...

Anyone ever used some sort of Furniture Jack or other creative way to deal with these solo situations?

Thanks in advance for feedback. Much appreciated!

Last edited:

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Hey Guys,

Quick question... wondering if any of you have come up with any creative solutions!

As a newer business, we can't afford extra help right now... yet we are finding that often times folk need us to pull large rugs from under heavy furniture! We are a 1 man crew.

Luckily, we have managed to get through it so far. But for example, Wednesday we have a 10 × 14 heavy wool rug to deliver and Custy has asked to help us put the rug under a heavy Cal King bed...

Anyone ever used some sort of Furniture Jack or other creative way to deal with these solo situations?

charge more for it.
i use furniture sliders but a large beds have too be dissembled to a point

i did a clean and re stretch sat

two rooms and hall plus closet restretch

$250
$150 too move furniture
$200 too clean three rooms hall and closets(2)

i used sliders for heavy dressers and i had too take off mattresses, boxsprings. that was enough for us.

lift foot board are enough so you can get rug back as far as possible then put gliders under footboard legs and drag the rug towards headboard. thats how id do it.

right leverage and u can do most alone.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
my wife was applying floor finish while i installed this carpet .
furniture way too heavy for her she only kept it balanced after she put chair and my dolley upside down. just need the right lever for the situation
EA0EBFCB-C039-429C-A102-55D98B31C864.png

Reactions: keep it clean

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Hey Guys,

sliders and a furniture dolly and a lift buddy

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Bed should be broken down then reassembled. They can break when moving them assembled. Do able. But you dont know how it was moved or assembled previously and can be ready to snap on you. Hutches dont mess with alone. I knocked one over once. Once they get going they the top just falls off. 2 tiny screws is all thats holding it down if that.

One way was to hop furniture over the roll. Rool it toward the bed. Lift entire end while kneeling with roll in front of you. Then knee it so it goes under.then continue rolling it. Or fold it then use sliders to move furniture over it till it can be unfolded. We do this with pool tables and pianos. Really need a second person. Other wise youll be taking everything out of the room on sliders. Even if its a part timer with muscle and hands. I install alone and pay a guy 100 bucks to come help carry trash out and new carpet in. Then from there im on my own. I tell him the faster we can get carpet in the faster he can leave. And he gets it done quick.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Hey Guys,

TMF member @Ken Raddon invented the Sofa Jack. Maybe he still has some available. There is also a Lift Buddy tool that can raise a piece of furniture.

We use the Sofa Jack or Lift Buddy to raise one end, rolled the rug to the other end, then used the tool to raise the second end. Removed some rather large rugs with one person.

However, be cautious. Some rugs can get damage such as crease by one person carrying them and creating a bend in the rug. Get an extra person for that job if needed. It is a lot cheaper than the cost of replacing a valuable rug.

Lift - Buddy - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AC112

Ymetimme

Apr 27, 2018
Real Name
Tim yeater
I've had to do this several times over the years
The best advice I can give is to be careful!!!do not push and pull too hard on customers things!!!!
Take down the bed
Keep track of everything and reassemble on top of the rug after it's laid flat
Don't forget companies charge for services charge accordingly !!!!
This should not be free nor should it be expected to be free!!! High-end customers won't care. low-end customers will do it themselves or higher low-end that will break their stuff

My company charges $125 an hour in quarter hour increments

Reactions: Scott W

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
TMF member @Ken Raddon invented the Sofa Jack. Maybe he still has some available. There is also a Lift Buddy tool that can raise a piece of furniture.

We use the Sofa Jack or Lift Buddy to raise one end, rolled the rug to the other end, then used the tool to raise the second end. Removed some rather large rugs with one person.

However, be cautious. Some rugs can get damage such as crease by one person carrying them and creating a bend in the rug. Get an extra person for that job if needed. It is a lot cheaper than the cost of replacing a valuable rug.

Lift - Buddy - https://interlinksupply.com/index.php?item_num=AC112
I had bunch of sliders. Finally, I got rid of them. This way is no moving, or everything is moved out upon my arrival. Either way, no moving, no problem. The way I remember, national chains have 25 lbs limit. Even darn recliner weighs more than that.
Am I alone in effort to live to enjoy my retirement and not to break my back?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Swivel Wand
Just for comparison. How much more earnings do you report by using swivel. None is right answer? Swivel is nice, but to avoid wet knees, you'll breaking your back, especially in really low bed sides. I don't want to stop evolution, I just don't want to be part of it.
Congrats to sviwel...

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
I do under the best first so I don’t get wet. Personally love my swivel wand. But I’ll be using my rotary tool for speed more.