1 jet or 2

kirch

May 20, 2017
Real Name
Greg Kirchner
Thinking about getting a new wand. Im running a 220psi portable with 1.5” plumbing, and a PMF single jet straight wand. Would changing to a 2 jet, dual S bend make a noticeable difference?

Oct 20, 2011
mn
www.wecleanworldwide.com
Real Name
jonathon allgood
Business Location
United States
Not necessarily. . The jet size determines the PSI and FLOW. You'll get the same performance from a 11004 and you would from 2 9502's. The S bend wand will probably be easier to move and more comfortable, allowing for the wand to perform better at the interface, suction wise.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
Thinking about getting a new wand. Im running a 220psi portable with 1.5” plumbing, and a PMF single jet straight wand. Would changing to a 2 jet, dual S bend make a noticeable difference?
Get stronger portable unit and than we'll talk wands. You'll be glad you did. Keep 220 psi as a spotter or for a back up.

vibra vacster

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.

I have a porty with the Aquatec 220psi pump myself and if i were you id get a wand with 2 jets that produce a 6 flow total. (2 9503 or 11003 jets, your choice of angle)
Cleaning carpets isnt just about psi, a lot has to do with the flow you use to flush as well. You can do an awesome job with 220psi, ive been doing it for a while now.

Reactions: Jeffclinton73

vibra vacster

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
Do not use a 06 total orfice size with an aquatec 220. You'll have 60 psi @ .7 GPM.

Not true.
Here are the specs with the Aquatec 220psi series 5800 58-ELK-220 pump at different orfice sizes.

With a total orfice size of 2, you will have 175psi @ .55 gpm of flow

With a total orfice size of 4, you will have 130psi @ .84 gpm of flow

With a total orfice size of 6, you will have 90psi @ .98 gpm of flow

With a total actual output of 90psi with .98 gpm of flow with a 6 total orfice size, thats hands down the "sweet spot" for me at least. ;)

Reactions: Jim Davisson
Oct 20, 2011
mn
www.wecleanworldwide.com
Real Name
jonathon allgood
Business Location
United States
I was just guessing without looking at the specs. I promise you're not getting 90 @.98 with 06. If you were getting 100 PSI you would be getting .95GPM not taking into account line loss. Its probably 80 PSI and .8 GPM ATW. I'd rather go with a 03 or 04 and get the 45% increase in pressure and sacrifice the 15% in flow. There is a sweet spot.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I have a porty with the Aquatec 220psi pump myself and if i were you id get a wand with 2 jets that produce a 6 flow total. (2 9503 or 11003 jets, your choice of angle)
Cleaning carpets isnt just about psi, a lot has to do with the flow you use to flush as well. You can do an awesome job with 220psi, ive been doing it for a while now.
This sounds good to me.

Reactions: vibra vacster

vibra vacster

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
This sounds good to me.
Thank you Rob! ;)
Flow is important, reguardless of the psi you have you need to have proper flow to back it up.

Did a bucket test to see how the 220psi Aquatec's specs compared to real world testing.
This is what i found:

Using the Aquatec 220psi pump, 25ft of 3/8" solution line with straight flow through QD's, inline pressure gauge hooked up at the wand, 6 flow total wand, i got between 92-93 psi at the wand (ATW).
One minute with the 6 flow wand keyed over the bucket produced just slightly over a gallon of flow. (GPM)
Surprisingly slightly better then the printed specs for the pump.

Kirch if i were you id get a good 2 jet wand.
Here are some id consider:

-Westpak low profile 2 jet 10-0530 S bend 1.5" This wand has jets that hit at a nice 45 degree angle. Rob has these in his store.

- AW29 2 jet S bend 1.5" Old standby many people have used for years.

- PMF 802 2 jet 1.5" S bend Similar to the AW29 but a little better design in my opinion.

Play around with flow and try both a 4 flow (2 9502's or 11002's), and a 6 flow (2 9503's or 11003's) and you be the judge. ;)

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
If you go with a 2 jet the jets will probably be closer to the carpet and give you better cleaning, but by having the jets closer you run the risk of leaving the carpet too wet. I like my single jet Hydrahoe when I have to use my old Ninja. If you go with a 2 jet I would get one that has either adjustable jets or jets that are angled instead of spraying straight down.

Oct 20, 2011
mn
www.wecleanworldwide.com
Real Name
jonathon allgood
Business Location
United States
Flow is very important for cleaning. And, that's awesome. If your setup is out performing Aquatec's braggadocios specs AND defeating the science behind nozzles determining the PSI and flow, you're doing something right. I was basing my thoughts on this chart, the aquatec specs, and knowledge of line loss. Could you post a video?
NPC.jpg

Attachments

• Nozzle-poster_1.png
    Nozzle-poster_1.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 300

Kenny Wright

Jan 29, 2009
Virginia
Real Name
Kenny Wright
Business Location
United States
I have used wands with portables and with a truckmount. I started out with a strait one-jet Hydrahoe and I still prefer it over other wands I have tried. My Hydrahoe nozzle has never been clogged and the big water droplets hold heat well, even though the spray is from higher up than multiple-nozzle wands.

There are many quality wands out there and most people seem to prefer multiple nozzles. I just can't get used to the S-bend. I like being able to raise or lower the spray angle, depending on the carpet I'm cleaning. To each his own.

Adam Valencia

Dec 23, 2016
Real Name
Adam V.
Thank you Rob! ;)
Flow is important, reguardless of the psi you have you need to have proper flow to back it up.

Did a bucket test to see how the 220psi Aquatec's specs compared to real world testing.
This is what i found:

Using the Aquatec 220psi pump, 25ft of 3/8" solution line with straight flow through QD's, inline pressure gauge hooked up at the wand, 6 flow total wand, i got between 92-93 psi at the wand (ATW).
One minute with the 6 flow wand keyed over the bucket produced just slightly over a gallon of flow. (GPM)
Surprisingly slightly better then the printed specs for the pump.

Kirch if i were you id get a good 2 jet wand.
Here are some id consider:

-Westpak low profile 2 jet 10-0530 S bend 1.5" This wand has jets that hit at a nice 45 degree angle. Rob has these in his store.

- AW29 2 jet S bend 1.5" Old standby many people have used for years.

- PMF 802 2 jet 1.5" S bend Similar to the AW29 but a little better design in my opinion.

Play around with flow and try both a 4 flow (2 9502's or 11002's), and a 6 flow (2 9503's or 11003's) and you be the judge. ;)

To bad the Westpak 10-0530 do not come with check valves and will not allow you to place check valves on it without modification. Thing drips everywhere.

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
I have used wands with portables and with a truckmount. I started out with a strait one-jet Hydrahoe and I still prefer it over other wands I have tried. My Hydrahoe nozzle has never been clogged and the big water droplets hold heat well, even though the spray is from higher up than multiple-nozzle wands.

There are many quality wands out there and most people seem to prefer multiple nozzles. I just can't get used to the S-bend. I like being able to raise or lower the spray angle, depending on the carpet I'm cleaning. To each his own.

Same here. My new Truckmount came with a 2 jet Westpak. I used it about 5 minutes and went and got the Hydrahoe back out. It’s lightweight and cleans great.

Reactions: Kenny Wright

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States

Same here. My new Truckmount came with a 2 jet Westpak. I used it about 5 minutes and went and got the Hydrahoe back out. It’s lightweight and cleans great.

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States

vibra vacster

Jan 9, 2013
Chicagoland Area
Real Name
Brian K.
To bad the Westpak 10-0530 do not come with check valves and will not allow you to place check valves on it without modification. Thing drips everywhere.
Use V Jets check values (its a ball and spring) , or install T-Jets and use check valve strainers to avoid dripping, problem solved.

1 jet , 2 jet, 3, jet... its a matter of preference what works best for you, and the equipment you use attached to it. To each their own.

Adam Valencia

Dec 23, 2016
Real Name
Adam V.
Use V Jets check values (its a ball and spring) , or install T-Jets and use check valve strainers to avoid dripping, problem solved.

1 jet , 2 jet, 3, jet... its a matter of preference what works best for you, and the equipment you use attached to it. To each their own.

yep, can convert to Tjets, or also use 1/2inch jet extenders with check valves but then the cleaning path would be only 11 inches. Just thought it was weird that they did not make this adjustment from factory?