truckmount is frozen

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by raw74, Jan 24, 2014.

1. raw74

raw74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    reggie
    Business Location:
    United States
    first year having a truckmount .My question how you know your truck is frozen? Won't start, water flows everywhere or what happen? Just getting a general ideal.
  2. Mojo Rising

Mojo Rising Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +4,716 / 144 / -4
    brent dill
    When the TM is exposed to 32 degrees or below for a long period of time.. You can be sure it will freeze.

The machine will probably start fine.. but anything that had water in it has a good chance of being damaged.. also can't forget about the other equipment that can freeze too.. wands, sprayers and so on.

Rule of thumb.. never let your TM freeze.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger Active Member

Ratings:
    +286 / 0 / -0
    Mark Saiger
    Hey Reggie,

It would unfortunately be after the fact that you would discover it froze up. Once it thaws, then you will discover leaks in connectors, heat exchangers, heaters, any lines and connectors. The list can be quite extensive.

It is really important to try and prevent this. Rob just did a nice video on this. Here is the link to his topic: http://www.truckmountforums.com/thr...tion-of-carpet-cleaning-machines-video.52068/

Also, I have done a series of videos on my youtube channel about cold weather cleaning as well. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi9UefjEixJPGgxWPTnEUhg

Call anytime with questions. 218-259-9099 cell. I know this is a very concerning time as you go through this cold snap.

Hope you stay safe and warm (you and your truckmount)

Mark Saiger
    www.saigers.com
    • Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. DJCarpetService

DJCarpetService Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +863 / 6 / -0
    Jared Benedict
    Business Location:
    United States
    Here's a question... I ran antifreeze through my system... Brought all my tools inside... My van has sat for a week and the temps have been cold... Is it normal for the antifreeze to turn to a slight slush??!
  5. Mark Saiger

Ratings:
    +286 / 0 / -0
    Mark Saiger
    It can be normal. Actually antifreeze needs a bit of water to be more active. Pure antifreeze can freeze easier if I remember correctly. Mixing the anti freeze 50/50 with water I think is most common even for vehicles.

Mark Saiger
    www.saigers.com
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. DJCarpetService

Ratings:
    +863 / 6 / -0
    Jared Benedict
    Business Location:
    United States
    I'm using 50/50... Roughly 2.5-3 gallons... When I look in my water box there is a thin coat of slush
  7. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

Ratings:
    +187 / 0 / -0
    Jason
    Business Location:
    United States
    Jared, I also have my machine freeze guarded. I have had the slush effect in water box. What I do is fire up the machine and idel it up a bit let run a good 10 mins or so then turn on pumps and circulate the system to be sure nothing else has been slushed up. Never had any problems but now start my machine every 2 days or so
    • Like Like x 2
  8. wuznmee

wuznmee Active Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    Mike
    I have never seen automotive antifreeze “slush up” unless it was too thin. One thing to be aware of is that most antifreeze in stores today is already pre-mixed to 50/50. If you’re buying the pre-mixed version and then diluting it again another 50% you could be asking for trouble. Be aware of what you are buying. A true 50/50 mix is good to at least 30 below and can stay in your system indefinitely.

If you are using RV antifreeze.. it will slush up. If I remember correctly it’s only good to about 10 below.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. tom patnode

tom patnode Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,264 / 12 / -0
    Tom Patnode
    I don't live in a cold climate so know nothing about this. Do a search for truck heaters. I know I have seen many posts on what people do. I do know they use electric heaters
  10. sbsscn

sbsscn Active Member

Ratings:
    +135 / 2 / -0
    Arm Ben
    Business Location:
    United States
    antifreeze does not "slush" what most likely has happened is it became diluted. Perhaps a small amount of antifreeze was added and run through the system or using pre mixed. The correct way is to run 2-3 jugs of the concentrate chemical through your system and flush out the water in the system until it leaves the hoses green (traditional) , Red/pink (Toyota), or orange (GMC) and do NOT let it drain to the street or sewer system . I think that the water in your system diluted it.
    Adding water makes it better at cooling not warming or being an insulator. Water dissipates heat better than coolant (antifreeze) but the chemical has additives and corrosion inhibitors and helps prevent the water in the cooling system from freezing. If you dont believe me ask the folks out east during winter storms and check their radiators. No Slush
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Mark Saiger

Ratings:
    +286 / 0 / -0
    Mark Saiger
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. matt30577

matt30577 Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +3,588 / 35 / -2
    matt wood
    Business Location:
    United States
    My #1 Rule for checking ice in my tm is:
    1. If you have a water box (1-8 gallon box that holds the water on tm), before you turn your machine on...check to see if there's any ice in there. Since there's free standing water sitting in that box, that should be the first place the water will freeze. If there is, cancel your first job. Either get a better heater in there and turn it on full blast, or crank up your engine and run it hot with the water pump OFF. If your water pump doesn't have an option to turn on or off, don't crank the engine.

2. If your tm doesn't have a water pump, like an AMTEX inferno, hook up your water supply with the engine OFF, and open your bypass valve to let the water run through the tm. If water comes out normal, then you're good, if it is dripping, then you need to cancel your first job, and get a heater in there to fix the problem until things are warmed up.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dennis Anderson

Dennis Anderson Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +1,414 / 21 / -0
    Dennis Anderson
    Mark,
    You're talking about automotive anti-freeze. It is normal for something like RV anti-freeze to turn to slush. If you mix water with RV anti-freeze you're going to have big problems.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. TLC CARPET CLEANING

TLC CARPET CLEANING Active Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Leon Turmel
    Business Location:
    United States
    Was this automotive type antifreeze? If so, mix up to a max of 60% antifreeze and 40% water. Anything higher in concentration then that actually will have the oposite affect. If it was pink RV antifreeze, that usually is used straight out of the jug. No mixing needed. Ready to use. Hope this helps.

Note: Most automotive antifreeze is 50/50 mix. Most jugs have freeze point concentrate chart on the jug. Look at it and base on what you think the system will hold in capacity.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dennis Anderson

Ratings:
    +1,414 / 21 / -0
    Dennis Anderson
    California guy,
    I think you need to qualify your statement. Radiator antifreeze shouldn't slush. RV antifreeze that I run through my equipment will slush.
  16. DJCarpetService

Ratings:
    +863 / 6 / -0
    Jared Benedict
    Business Location:
    United States
    Will this slush hurt anything??? Or only when it's froze solid is when trouble occurs?
  17. Dennis Anderson

Ratings:
    +1,414 / 21 / -0
    Dennis Anderson
    I don't think the slush is going to hurt anything if you're talking RV antifreeze. I have my van heated and then run RV antifreeze through all of my equipment as a backup. But then again I have a ETM. I'm not up on the requirements of TM's.
  18. matt30577

matt30577 Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +3,588 / 35 / -2
    matt wood
    Business Location:
    United States
    What part of Georgia are you located? I don't see there being any need for more than a good, ceramic heater, unless you live in the highest mountains of Georgia. Just make sure you have a 12-14 guage extension cord, so it can hold the load
  19. raw74

raw74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    reggie
    Business Location:
    United States
    I'm in Marietta ga, I just put the ? Out there because I don't see it in any threads. Give me a ideal in case something like that happens. Like one guy wrote I had the same issue with a little slush in my water box. I ran rv anti freeze as well
  20. matt30577

matt30577 Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +3,588 / 35 / -2
    matt wood
    Business Location:
    United States
    If Iwere you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm a little north of you in ga, and all I've done in the 12 years is have a good space heater in my trailer when the temp. gets under 40 degrees