Tempurpedic Mold!!

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by D.j. Hill, Jul 16, 2011.

1. D.j. Hill

D.j. Hill Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    David Hill
    So one of my clients called me today and said that she had a tempurpedic mattress with mold on it and wanted to know if I could clean it. I told her I would come and take a look at it and see what I could do. Anybody ever clean one of these? If so what was your process? I hope I can be able to help her out. Thanks!:AddEmoticons04259:
  2. robbo

robbo New Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Robert Cooke
    Business Location:
    Australia
    I clean mattresses all the time, Just use a neutral ph and low psi
  3. matt7

matt7 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +810 / 1 / -0
    Matthew Stephenson
    Business Location:
    United States
    I would steer clear of any mold if I were you unless you are a remediation expert. In any case there is no way to access the interior of a mattress and know way to know how deep the mold goes into it, this means the mattress is a total loss item in this situation.
  4. Pat Carroll

Pat Carroll Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +278 / 2 / -0
    Patrick Carroll
    Business Location:
    United States
    I thought you were going to say "I told her to throw it away" not "I told her that I would take a look". I have never cleaned one but they are made with a very dense foam. I would think the best way to clean it would be with a steam vapor unit. If it is mold, you need to know what your doing before accepting the work.
  5. dgardner

dgardner New Member

Ratings:
    +420 / 0 / -0
    Dan Gardner
    From the Tempurpedic site:

Cleaning spills
    If you spill liquid on your mattress, please take the following steps. Because the mattress should never become wet, we can't promise that these steps will completely remove the stain or odor.

If your mattress has a cover, remove it, wash it in cold water with mild detergent, and hang dry for best results. Never use bleach or bleaching products with the cover.
    After the cover has been removed, soak up as much of the liquid using towels as possible. This may require pressing down on the material with the towel(s) to release the moisture.
    Once excess moisture is removed, let the mattress air dry. To speed up the drying process, place a fan so that it blows on the mattress.
    Never wash the TEMPURĀ® material. TEMPURĀ® material should never become wet. We offer a special wet-safe cover to provide extra protection against liquid spills.

Since the foam contains billions of air pockets and the mold could have penetrated deeply, I don't see how you could offer more than a surface cleaning. What was the moisture source that allowed the mold to grow in the first place? If it was high humidity the problem will come back anyway, only now it will be your problem.