Raccoon urine smells like...

Discussion in 'Bio-Hazard, Crime Scene, Trauma, Cleanup Forum' started by Gary Getman, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Gary Getman

Gary Getman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +404 / 2 / -0
    gary getman
    Business Location:
    United States
    something died in my attic. One juvenile raccoon has set up a latrine over my master bathroom and the odor is very bad. I trapped and removed the little bastard myself and hired someone to seal up the entry point and fortify all other possible entry points. They also crawled all around the attic and looked for dead babies and found none. They also vacuumed up some turds and fogged the attic with some ineffective antimicrobial. They did not directly treat the problem area with direct spray application of either enzyme or antimicrobial. Would it help to spray the area with enzyme deod for urine or even spray with Microban? I realize that this urine smell will be difficult to remove and I have inquired to a insulation company to remove all the contaminated blown in insulation and replace it.
  2. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +4,724 / 7 / -1
    Removing the contaminated insulation will do the most to help on the odor.
    Clean any affected surfaces that you can get access to.
    Apply bio-enzyme to the affected area. Since the materials will not soak up moisture as much as carpet, you will need to get it pretty wet to allow the enzymes to keep working as long possible. Just don't get it so wet that it leaks through the ceiling of the bedroom.
    Provide some ventilation to help get the bad air out of your attic. You won't need a lot but if you have an exhaust fan, run that. Or any fan that will push air out the vents.
    Finish with a dose of either Hydrocide Extreme if you can get it right on the affected area or Vaportec 3X industrial using air currents to circulate in the attic.
  3. Prosteam-sonomacounty

Prosteam-sonomacounty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,985 / 19 / -0
    Mike Camacho
    Be very careful and wear a respirator.Raccoon fecal matter can contain horrible things including worm eggs that can nearly kill you not to mention types of bacterium WILL kill you.
  4. Gary Getman

Gary Getman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +404 / 2 / -0
    gary getman
    Business Location:
    United States
    UPDATE FROM OP: After days of persistant odor, and being told that there were no dead raccoons in attic, I took it upon my self to find the source of odor and found a dead new born raccoon and immmediatly called to complain to the wildlife removers who insisted there were no dead animals in my attic. They returned and the tech immediatly found three more. I later found one more stuck to the top of a wooden brace above our master shower. Seems an intruder male raccoon attacked the nest with a 6 am violent thrashing which alerted us to their presence. It bit the heads off two babies and threw them out of the nest and on top of said shower. Odor was not from urine as much as from dead animals. HO insurance contacted and check issued to restore attic. Restoration performed by XtractAll, Fire Service of North Port and Davidson Insulation. All insulation removed. Entire attic space HEPA vacuumed. Master bath attic space sealed. Attic treated with Benefect. Ozone attic space. R38 JM blown in insulation replaced. Final negative air duct and air handler cleaning and sanitation with Benefect.
    • Like Like x 1