Prespray Applicator Poll

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by Rob Allen, Jun 1, 2009.

?

Prespray Applicator Poll

1. Pump up

25 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. Electric Sprayer

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  3. Hydraforce (Inline injector style)

65 vote(s)
    67.0%
  4. I don't prespray

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +12,580 / 34 / -0
    Robert Allen,Jr.
    Business Location:
    United States
    I read recently about applicators of pre-spray being unequal in volume output. Here is the gist of what was said;

PS:Your vote is anonymous, so PLEASE vote!

Carpet cleaners survey revealed this:

1)Pump-Up Sprayer users put down the least amount of prespray (1X)

2)Electric Pump Sprayer users put down 1.5 X's the amount of prespray.

3)Inline Injection Sprayer users put down 2.5 X's the amount of prespray.

Tap water and hot water will affect results too.
    So what do you use to apply prespray with and how do you feel about the comments above?:AddEmoticons04259:
  2. SeriousHeat

SeriousHeat New Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Matt Weddle
    I use a Hydroforce most of the time. I know I use tons more chemical when I use it versus the pump up, so I would say the above is fairly accurate.
  3. RC Eden Carpet Cleaning

RC Eden Carpet Cleaning Member

Bellevue, Wa (Greater Seattle Area)/Spokane, Washi
    Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Rich Eden
    Hydroforce here and like you said I know I'm using more chem with it then using a pump up sprayer, but it is the easiest and I think I get the best results.
  4. ACC

ACC Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Shawn Giroux
    Business Location:
    United States
    Pump up sprayer. Now that I realize that hydroforce uses so much more product I will probablly stick with the pump for now. My results are good and when there is heavily soiled areas I just add as needed. I dont find it difficult to use either. Maybe I am so use to the hard work I was accustomed to in the construction field that I find carpet cleaning to be easy money and not hard work at all. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes or start a riot peace but some of you carpet cleaners are pretty spoiled when it comes to earning a dollar. *duck*
  5. SuzukiRider

SuzukiRider New Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Alex Plop
    Business Location:
    United States
    Hydroforce all the way!

I have used pump up sprayers in the past and they are a pain in the a$$ to use. Tips clogged all the time, not enough chemicals applied, etc...

Now that I use the hydroforce my work is faster, easier and results are much better. I can put the tip to a stain and blast it away. Most apartments take just a couple of minutes to spray now.

It's true it may flow a higher volume but that is why you have to move faster when you spray. For a one bedroom I use maybe a quarter of the HF. On nasty three bedroom apartments I have never used more than half of the HF

I will never go back to anything else....
  6. Matt Strader

Matt Strader Active Member

Ratings:
    +272 / 1 / -0
    Matthew Strader
    Business Location:
    United States
    Remind me again what this has to do with a hydroforce?
  7. sharp_shepherd

sharp_shepherd Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Toby Tyler
    Business Location:
    United States
    Spoiled? What the heck are you talking about? Because some of us are lucky or in your words spoiled enough to buy and use the best equipment doesn't mean we are spoiled. It means that we want to use the best equipment available so we can "spoil" our customers. I'm really surprised to see a comment like yours on a forum like this.

Don't tell me, but I bet you have a rug doctor in the truck of your car and you are the one cleaning 4 rooms for $25.00 I just know i'm right.
  8. SuzukiRider

SuzukiRider New Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Alex Plop
    Business Location:
    United States
    HA HA HA HA HA WOW,

I do not think we are spoiled, we buy the best equipment we can which allows us to clean better. Hydroforce is by far the best available chemical sprayer setup. You can have spare jugs premixed with detergent for quick change, you can adjust the mix easily, it's reliable and does not require much maintenance.

If you have a TM there is nothing better than a hydroforce!
  9. ACC

ACC Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Shawn Giroux
    Business Location:
    United States
    Toby, it wasn't my intention to get you all upset. You really feel like my comment was out of line? You can use a hydrofoce all you want , I think it a great product and one day I will most likely buy and use one myself. I still stick to my comment. btw you agree with me in another thread. Quoted by you.

"hear all alot of guys complaining about pushing a wand and what i'm really thinking is what a bunch of wimps. Charge more and you'll find pushing that wand a whole lot easier. In your spare time i'd recommend lifting some weights to build up some muscles.

Carpet cleaning isn't hard work and we should consider ourselves lucky that we picked such a living. "

Anyway, Its all good I respect your enthusiasm.
  10. mrpurified

mrpurified Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Will Houston
    Business Location:
    United States
    sprayer

I use hydoforce yea i uses a lot more but its quick, easy and it come out hot

pump up way to long i use it for spotting

electric cost almost the same as a hydro so why not buy a hydro

My 2cents
    Mrpurified
  11. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Once you use a inline sprayer you will wonder how you ever got by without one. With that said I still carry 2 three gal. sprayers and when I have a carpet that needs a little extra kick such as oxy boost or citra solv I mix and use it then, but it is so much slower than an inline, and time is money more so than the cost of chems. At least in my book!
  12. sharp_shepherd

sharp_shepherd Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Toby Tyler
    Business Location:
    United States
    Hey, not biggie. I'm not that big of a hater. I feel everyone can do as they wish and the carpet cleaning industry is the most diverse business i've ever seen. I'm ADHD and my opininions can change on a whim. I'll be honest and say that less work almost always makes more money and I like things easy. BUT, i absolutely hate that their always a salesman peddling his stuff to unsuspecting people without the willingness to back it up first or give a total 100% iron clad guarantee. The glide post is an example. Give me one and let me try it out and if I like it I will say so and then gladly pay for it. If it's BS then I will also say that. But to charge a high price for a piece of plastic is rediculous.
  13. Steamin Steamboat Springs

Steamin Steamboat Springs New Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Bryn Patton
    Business Location:
    United States
    What temp do you use to mix

I personally use a Hydroforce without a tip at 1000PSI only so I can run through the house faster because it sprays more. We do more resort/foresclosures where you are in and out as fast as you can because you have many to do.

So my big question is to all you.

I know guys that mix there chemical both on the machine and hydroforce with cold water.

I mix everything with the hottest water I can because when chems are used hotter that have a higher PH they get stronger.

These guys tell me I'm nuts and I tell them to go get a meeting (IICRC Class).

Whats your opinion?
  14. sharp_shepherd

sharp_shepherd Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Toby Tyler
    Business Location:
    United States
    You are correct Bryn. The heat causes and exponential change in chemical reactions. While the heat wont change the pH it will change how fast it works especially chems like OSR and PetZone.
  15. TMCKAY

TMCKAY New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    TIM MCKAY
    I use a hydro. I love not pumping a sprayer any more, however my truck mount only has one solution line so I have to stop cleaning when its time to spray again. so on very large areas like offices, classrooms, banquet halls it does take a little extra time.
  16. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +12,580 / 34 / -0
    Robert Allen,Jr.
    Business Location:
    United States
    Carpet cleaning chemicals are activated by high heat. Laundry companies have the patents on low temp activated chemicals. That being the case we need heat to clean faster and properly! :AddEmoticons04233:
  17. SeriousHeat

SeriousHeat New Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Matt Weddle
    OK! Who voted that they don't pre spray?!?!?

haha
  18. Richard Baldwin

Richard Baldwin Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +2,418 / 26 / -0
    Richard Baldwin
    Anyone that says carpet cleaning isnt hard work has obviously never cleaned carpet and upholstery for a living, at least not sucessfully.

Carpet and upholstery cleaners are a rare and special breed. I can hire ex-construction workers and they quit within a week. Actually just about anyone I hire quits within a week. It has nothing to do with the way I treat them, they all quit because the work is too hard for them. I find the women I hire outlast the guys every time too. Every guy I try to train turns out to be a suck.

We charge $100/hr for what we do, its more than plumbers, electricians, mechanics or even some lawyers. And you know why? Because nobody else can handle the workload, it's easier to pay.

This is not "easy" money, and our overhead is huge. We have to budget carefully just to make sure we are getting paid in the end.

I give full kudo's to any experienced cleaning techs out there. You are better than the average worker, you are tougher and smarter too. Cheers.

Anyways, sorry, back to topic. Hydroforce all the way, it makes our job easier, faster and more professional. As for product usage, you gotta put some product on the carpet if you expect to get any results. Stop being cheap and putting so little on that you are defeating the purpose of using prespray at all. Pumpups do not apply enough product to be effective on heavy soil.
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  19. Motivated

Motivated Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Michael Lica
    Business Location:
    United States
    I bought an electric sprayer and regret it. That is about all I can say about it cause I am still new to the business. Hydroforce sounds like the way to go. Back in the day I used pump up with my portable and like the freedom of it.
  20. dgardner

dgardner New Member

Ratings:
    +420 / 0 / -0
    Dan Gardner
    I use a pump-up sprayer, but I don't pump - I cheat! Here's a pic of my rig:

Attached Files: