Please HELP to with laying out a winning water damage bid and Xactimate!

Discussion in 'Water Damage, Fire & Mold Restoration' started by gr4474, Mar 2, 2012.

1. gr4474

gr4474 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 16 / -0
    Greg Rodie
    Business Location:
    United States
    I did a tile job for a company, and they loved it so much they want me to put in a bid for water damage in Louisiana. I need a winning layout so send them a bid. Can someone please email me their proven layout? How can I stand out in a crowd? The tile job got me in the door, but the company i'm bidding to is not actually who i did the tile for. Xactimate pricing advice would be great. Should I use exact pricing, or go a bit low? Assuming all competition is using the same price guidelines...what makes the winning bid? Thanks for any water damage veterans help!!

Greg
    gr4474@hotmail.com
  2. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +4,722 / 7 / -1
    Seldom is water damage restoration work depending upon the lowest bid.

No one knows when such services will be needed, but when they are needed they want the problem solved fast.

Rapid response times, the necessary knowledge and equipment to dry the job quickly and properly mean much more than price. At least for the emergency work, price is often not discussed until after the immediate drying work has been completed.
  3. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen Strategies for Success

Ratings:
    +1,800 / 6 / -0
    Steve Toburen
    Business Location:
    Dominican Republic
    Listen to Scott. My guess is this isn't something you want to "bid" in advance and especially if you are not experienced in W/D.

Steve Toburen
    www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS That being said, our SFS Initial Water Damage Interview Form will at least make you APPEAR to be competent and in control of an at times bewildering situation! :) It is a free download and people tell me it helps greatly with water losses.
  4. Dr Cleaning

Dr Cleaning Active Member

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Neil Lapinson
    I agree with Scott and Steve you cant bid water Damage. And if you do what happens if you go way over est. pricing to do it right.
  5. gr4474

gr4474 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 16 / -0
    Greg Rodie
    Business Location:
    United States
    I appreciate the replies! I understand what all of you are saying, and agree. There is no damage yet, and I haven't been on site...what I have is a potential contract for "future" water damages when they happen. I was faxed a list of things to send in prices for...such as:
    apply anti-microbial agent 1.00 sf @
    Equipment setup, take down, and monitoring 1.00 hr @
    Equipment setup, take down, and monitoring- after business hours 1.00 hr @
    Drill holes for wall cavity drying 1.00 EA
    Water extraction from floor 1.0 sf
    " " Heavy 1.00 sf
    " " After Business Hours 1.00 sf

I'm supposed to send my pricing, and I want to make it professional and land this contract. This will be a very nice deal. So I still need help! I appreciate all of you taking the time to reply.

Thank you,
    Greg
    gr4474@hotmail.com
    318-834-4365
  6. gr4474

gr4474 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 16 / -0
    Greg Rodie
    Business Location:
    United States
    The items mentioned above are just the first few on the list. I have done water damages off and on since hurricane katrina in New Orleans, and my sidekick has done water damages for 10 yrs. I am experienced at water damages, but not at landing jobs. The contract covers hundreds of buildings...so I REALLY need this! any help guys PLEASE.
  7. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen Strategies for Success

Ratings:
    +1,800 / 6 / -0
    Steve Toburen
    Business Location:
    Dominican Republic
    Fair enough. If you REALLY want the account then sign up for Exactimate. It is pricey but is the accepted Gold Standard among adjusters. Restorers like to complain about some of the Exactimate pricing but if you know how to write the job (there is a learning curve on the program) you will make money.

Most importantly for you it has a price on every conceivable thing you (or your client) can think of.

Best wishes,
    Steve Toburen
    www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Since you already appear to have a close relationship with this company why not propose regular carpet maintenance contracts to them? That would build a you a nice empire without the up and down staffing and equipment problems of water losses. (Of course, then you would face the "all your eggs in one basket" problem!)
  8. AvidCare

AvidCare Active Member

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    Patrick McAnulla
    Business Location:
    United States
    Just tell them that you are very competitive with the Exactimate Program. That you are not going to nickle and dime them with every single charge you can within the program. Exactimate has many different price strucktures, they want to know if they are going to get charged on every little detail or if you are going to use a generalized type of charging struckture within Exactimate.
    For instance Exactimate has a charge for each and how many holes you drill into walls to allow airflow in and out. It only takes a second to do, But are you going to charge for it. If you want to make an impression. Show them the work you did and that you know you could charge for it but change the charge to $0.00. Like: 100 holes drilled at (normally .20/each) 0.00= 0.00 Make sure you copy and paste the items discription after each entry so the adjuster can read what every entry is for. You want them to know that YOU KNOW, What you could charge but you are willing to let some charges go. This can also be used for leverage later if they try to stick it to you on a job.
  9. gr4474

gr4474 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 16 / -0
    Greg Rodie
    Business Location:
    United States
    Thanks to everyone for their help. I have a friend that said he will try to dig up an old xactimate price list from 3-4 yrs ago. Assuming it is actually 3-4 yrs old...could this get me by? Maybe I could add 5% to all those old prices? If he cannot find his list, and I can't get guidance from anyone here by monday...it looks like i will need to pay for a month of xactimate. I am not one of those cheapos who doesn't want to invest in the business, it's just tight right now. I just put about $400 into the van and equipment a few days ago, and boom, i got this call for the bid.
    The next thing is just as important...a professional proposal. I have a few points outlined to mention in it to stand out, but I need serious HELP. I don't really know what it takes to make a great proposal, so any tips, templates or outlines would be so appreciated.
    Thank all of you,
    Greg