Nissan UD trucks

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by RoyS, Jul 3, 2012.

RoyS

RoyS Active Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Roy Sanders
    I am looking into getting my equipment out of my trailer and into a van/box truck. I have been looking for a used nissan ud box truck. I have found a couple at jon don that is pretty much what I am looking for but I don't want to have to buy the equipment to get the truck. I like the low profile box on them as well as the extra room. My problem is all the UD's that I come across have the extra tall boxes on them. Is there somewhere that deals a bit more in the lower profile box trucks with the side doors. Ross is you are reading where did you come across yours at. The ones from Jon Don come with the vortex machine and are old service master units.
    Fernando Navarro

Fernando Navarro Premium VIP

owner/operator
    Ratings:
    +708 / 2 / -0
    Fernando Navarro
    Business Location:
    United States
    I've heard the us are very under powered.
    Jim Martin where are you.
    Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4 Active Member

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Dennis Graham
    Business Location:
    United States
    The truck is built as a cab and chasis. You will have to find a body company that can modify the box or have a used one. They may swap if even if they want the box you have. You may want to look at Isuzu trucks if you want a dependable cab over truck.
    Shawn Abbey

Shawn Abbey Active Member

Owner
    Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -0
    Shawn Abbey
    I have three Isuzu box trucks (well, two actually-- we just totaled one!) and have been very impressed with their performance and durability. If you can find a "Cab and Rails" (truck without the box), then perhaps you can contact Jeff at Summit Truck Body in Portland, OR. He may have a few of the Vortex style boxes left in his inventory. However, depending on your location, this may not be financially possible to have it shipped to you if you're not on the West Coast.
    Jsinopoli003

Jsinopoli003 Active Member

carpet cleaner/ installer
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    James Sinopoli
    Business Location:
    United States
    id like to try the new nissan sv 6 foot 3 inch height is really cool and the technology you can get with them are really cool.
    Jim Martin

Jim Martin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +623 / 2 / -0

been on vacation.....

stay away from the older model UD's...they are log wagons....the newer ones are a bit better but still more sluggish then the W4500..or the W3500......or the Isuzu............ summit bodies are OK...but OK is about as far as they go....unless you get lucky and find a shorter box....you are either going to have to have it custom or deal with a bit taller one...
    TheEyeball

TheEyeball Guest

Ratings:
    +3,143 / 17 / -43
    Sorry just now saw this thread. Don't know how I missed it. I'm on my second UD. I had a 2001 and the one I have now is a 2007. They are almost exactly the same. Very minor differences visually. There are some differences mechanically. If you wanna talk about it, I might be able to spend some time on the phone tomorrow between noon and 3pm Eastern. removed per request

Jim Martin is right, they are a very rough ride. If you are used to a Chevy van get ready for some cracked vertebrae in a UD. They are ok on fuel around town, but they will suck the diesel at highway speeds. Fox6000 is right in that they are low power. 175hp, but the torque is 425 or 450 or something. You don't need the horsepower. These trucks were never intended to be driven over the road. Just around town. The torque is what you want anyway. I could pull a house down with this truck and not even feel it. My buddy used to tow a 21ft boat behind the 2001 and you couldn't tell it was back there.

If I remember right the boxes on these Vortexes were semi-custom made from some truck body company out West. I've never seen one on another cab-over truck besides a Vortex. I'm sure it would be easy to find out where the box came from if we did a little research.

I like the UD because it's dependable and it does exactly what it's supposed to do: haul stuff around in an urban or suburban setting. Extremely tight turning radius. You'd be shocked at how tight they turn. They handle weight very well, but it's hard on the tires. Brakes are cheap and easy to do if you are into doing them yourself, but you'll need an impact and a giant socket. Rotors are about $90 a piece and the pads aren't much more than what you'd spend on a pickup. I've heard they have problems with the heads going bad but I haven't experienced that on either one of mine.

I have heard the Isuzus have a much better ride and honestly I think they look way better than the UDs. Those Ford LFCs look even better but they are expensive. If I were you I'd look for a used UD or Isuzu with no box or bed on it. You can get 'em cheap. Like, $8k and stuff. Not bad for a big truck like this. Then you can put your own box on it. To me it wouldn't make sense to get a used Vortex and then gut it. I think you're better off buying a plain truck and putting your own box on it.

There are many UDs driving around this country with 1,000,000 miles on them. Not joking. They have a small network of dealerships around the country. If you really want one it should be easy to find. Just to let you know I sold my 2001 Vortex to a guy in California in 2009 and it cost him about $2k to have it shipped from Indianapolis. A giant hairy Russian guy put it on a flat bed car hauler built on a Cummins Ram pickup chassis and drove it all the way to the west coast. Do not need a semi to ship.
    RoyS

RoyS Active Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Roy Sanders
    Thanks guys for the info. Maybe I should be looking towards the Isuzu's from the way you guys are talking. What company should I look at for boxes. I live in Illinois, so the summit would probably be out of the question. I just liked the UD's do to the shorter boxes and wasn't really thinking about the other trucks.

Ross, thanks for all that. I sent you the PM a week or so ago and you had answered me back on it but that is some good additional info there. Not sure I have the time to talk as I have a busy day tommorow but I appreciate the offer and I will remember that incase I need to ask you something.
    Jim Martin

Ratings:
    +623 / 2 / -0
    the box is not limited t0 the UD...this one sits on a Chevy W4500

[​IMG]

I really do not know who made this box....but it is not a summit.....this one was already on the truck when it was found and it is the best made I have ever seen......
    RoyS

RoyS Active Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Roy Sanders

SWEET! It's pretty bad when a guy likes a freakin box truck. Are most of the boxes like these 18' long.
    Light351

Light351 Active Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 2 / -0
    Sal
    [​IMG]
    :)

Tapatalk PRO 3
    TheEyeball

TheEyeball Guest

Ratings:
    +3,143 / 17 / -43
    I have cleaned up after many of these vans.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Jim Martin

Ratings:
    +623 / 2 / -0
    this one is a 18' and the old Vortex that I use to have was a 14'....this box is also about 4 inches taller then the summit box that was on my old UD...and a few inches wider.....the truck is a Chevy W4500
    mahlonzehr

mahlonzehr Premium VIP

Carpet Cleaning
    Ratings:
    +336 / 1 / -0
    Mahlon Zehr
    Business Location:
    United States
    What's the price on a custom box? It's a matter of time until I go to a box truck and this looks like a good option...
    ASAP

ASAP Premium VIP

Carpet Cleaner
    Ratings:
    +1,013 / 4 / -0
    Pete DLP
    Business Location:
    United States
    I got a quote 0f $7500.00 new.....14 feet 6 foot tall and side roll up door...In Ca
    RoyS

RoyS Active Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Roy Sanders
    What company did you get a quote from. Do they have a website.
    ASAP

ASAP Premium VIP

Carpet Cleaner
    Ratings:
    +1,013 / 4 / -0
    Pete DLP
    Business Location:
    United States
    SUPREMECORP.COM Google truck bodies
    TechClean

TechClean Active Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Dustin
    Business Location:
    Canada
    had my TM about a month now. 2007 UD.
    Very impressed with millage around town. When taking some of 'highway' spots through town i try and not go beyond 65 mph.
    This thing BLOWS my 1995 gmc 1 ton 350 away in millage and even acceleration lol, absolutely no comparison :)
    ronman

ronman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,432 / 8 / -0
    Ron
    Business Location:
    United States
    What kind of mileage do you get?
    I was getting about 17 with my Ford E250, combined.
    I was looking at some Isuzu's about 2-3 months ago, and the guy who sells them said they are really expensive to rebuild the motors, and if I remember right, he said they need rebuilt around 250k miles?
    It's been a while, but I think he said it cost $5-7k to rebuild an engine.
    Ross, what kind of mileage are you getting with your ud, and how many miles do they run between rebuilds?

To the original poster,
    If you find a truck with a machine you don't want, let me know, I might be in the market for a used machine.

Ron
    TheEyeball

TheEyeball Guest

Ratings:
    +3,143 / 17 / -43
    I am so sorry I haven't taken care of the owners manual thing yet. I hate being that guy who promises something and then never does it. I haven't forgotten, just busy all the time. Was gonna do it today since I don't work on Tuesdays but my daughter has a 102 fever.