Luxcelle Area Rug

Discussion in 'Area Rug Cleaning Forum' started by CustomCare, Jul 18, 2012.

CustomCare

CustomCare New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Joe Naleck
    Does anybody have experience with this fiber? I picked up an area rug for cleaning today, the home owner told me on the phone it was a wool rug with maybe some silk inlay. It was already rolled up in and left on the porch for us to pick up. Upon inspection I discovered a tag on the back stating it was 100% Luxcelle. So after a little research I found it is a viscose fiber made from refined cotton (cellulose) so I was planning on cleaning it as if it was a cotton rug.

I just figured I'd post and see if there are any known issues that I should look out for before I clean and protect this rug.

Thanks guys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor Premium VIP

Technical support Bridgepoint
    Ratings:
    +4,271 / 7 / -1
    Luxcelle is a trade name for rayon. Cleaning (or simply getting wet) will make the fibers very weak. In many designs, the result is tufts that will not stand up but instead mat down. Expect to do a lot of grooming. This may be one to avoid if the lady thinks it is worth anything. This also known as art silk, faux silk or simply fake silk.,
    Sonny Cohen

Sonny Cohen Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Sonny
    Business Location:
    United States
    Viscose is a horrible fiber to clean. It will most definitely yellow if you use even very little water at all...the first time I cleaned a viscose rug I ended up buying it. This was years ago, now, I dry clean them. Read this blog post for some tips

http://www.rugchick.com/viscose-rayon-faux-silk-art-silk-rugs/
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Brian T

Brian T New Member

Plant manager
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Brian Terpstra
    Business Location:
    United States
    In my experience the colors in viscose are stable, rayon not so much. These 2 fibers are very similar. I would definitely test the reds for bleeding. Do not use any sort of rotary action on this as you will distort the pile and have a heck of a time straightening it out. I would also avoid vacuuming it with a wand or uph. tool. They tend to leave lines along the edge that can take a lot of work to remove. I usually wet it down thoroughly and work from one end to the other with a wand with no vacuum line hooked up or pressure washer. Lay flat to dry with air movers. The biggest concern with this rug is pile distortion and bleeding. If you are at all unsure give it to a local rug professional.
    CustomCare

CustomCare New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Joe Naleck
    Thanks for the info guys. The rug manufacturer recommends Woolite? and states that the use of solvents ect will void their warranty. So I'm guessing a low PH upholstery pre-conditioner and clear water or acid rinse followed by grooming and speed drying should be ok. What do you guys think?

Here is what it says on their website :
    Nourison recommends only the use of Woolite or other compatible Carpet Cleaner for the cleaning of all rugs. The cleaning process should involve applying the Woolite with a soft bristle brush, rinsing the water, and extracting with a vacuum or extractor. The rug should then be dried by air or low temperature hair dryer. The use of any other cleaning solvent will void the Nourison warranty, and make the cleaning service solely responsible for any damage caused to the rug. Nourison does not guarantee that these methods work and should be used as a guideline only!? If in doubt,? call a reputable cleaner.
    CustomCare

CustomCare New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Joe Naleck
    I copied it from their web site and you can only see it above if you highlight it(click and drag the mouse). WTF? It's like invisible ink for the web o_O I guess I'll type the whole thing out:

"Nourison recommends only the use of Woolite or other compatible Carpet Cleaner for the cleaning of all rugs. The cleaning process should involve applying the Woolite with a soft bristle brush, rinsing the water, and extracting with a vacuum or extractor. The rug should then be dried by air or low temperature hair dryer.The use of any other cleaning solvent will void the Nourison warranty, and make the cleaning service solely responsible for any damage caused to the rug. Nourison does not guarantee that these methods work and should be used as a guideline only!? If in doubt,? call a reputable cleaner.
    Brian T

Brian T New Member

Plant manager
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Brian Terpstra
    Business Location:
    United States
    Nourison is one of the worst rug brands out there, particularly their tufted wool rugs, they are total junk. This rug you are dealing with is woven? Correct? If so they can take the water. When solvents are applied to tufted carpets and they reach the backing they can break it down. Nourisons disclaimer alone shows you that their product is junk. It is completely unreasonable to make a rug that can only be cleaned in that manner.
    Bill Yeadon

Bill Yeadon Preferred Vendor

Trainer
    Ratings:
    +1,363 / 3 / -0
    Bill Yeadon
    Before you clean it I would call the customer and explain what the rug is made out of and that it is definitely not wool and silk. Anytime a fiber is called something other than a known name such as nylon, wool etc it is an extruded house brand. If it ends in on or elle it is definitely not a natural fiber.

I would try something like Prochem Fine Fabric Shampoo with a horsehair brush and be very careful of the pile.
    CleanImageMarketing

CleanImageMarketing Active Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Phillip Newell
    Business Location:
    United States
    I was thinking what Bill just said. Give Paul Lucas a call at Chemmax. He has a product (LST) that I think would be perfect for this rug.

ChemMax
    1-800-858-7237