Logistics

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Care' started by Joseph Rogers, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Joseph Rogers

Joseph Rogers Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +1,708 / 22 / -1
    Joseph Rogers
    Business Location:
    United States
    I went and measured a job today for a local property management that's huge. I've not calculated all the measurements yet, but I'm guessing 45-60k square feet of DIRTY tile and grout.

How low would you guys go on pricing for this kind of volume, and how would you handle the job? It's a lock-in, and I'm running a porty. Gonna need fill and waste tanks, and a 100 gallon tank weighs a LOT when full of water. Is there a cart that will support this kind of weight?

Any suggestions from people who've done jobs this size much appreciated.
  2. Kipp

Kipp Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +6,590 / 10 / -0
    Kipp Stoltzfus
    I wouldn't think you could meet a reasonable timeline with one guy and a porty for this job...are you getting help?
  3. Joseph Rogers

Ratings:
    +1,708 / 22 / -1
    Joseph Rogers
    Business Location:
    United States
    One thing at a time. I've considered that, and can imagine bringing on a second set of hands for this. I've done 2k square feet before with only one helper in an 8 hour day, cleaning and sealing, and that was pretty heavy duty soiling as well.

I'm gonna use the quality over quantity push for selling the job if that's brought up, as well. Operations director has already made it clear that he would prefer a good job over a fast one. What would be considered a "reasonable" timeline for this? I'd probably have a 10-12 hour window at nights to work on this.
  4. jaymark1

jaymark1 Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +3,528 / 24 / -0
    Jay
    Business Location:
    United States
    were you upfront with the manager about your equiptment?
  5. Joseph Rogers

Ratings:
    +1,708 / 22 / -1
    Joseph Rogers
    Business Location:
    United States
    Yup. Due to the lock in situation, he didn't want TM's. Two floors, long hallway, over 800 feet long end to end with entrances down side hallways, so TM's wouldn't really be an option anyway.
  6. Kipp

Kipp Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +6,590 / 10 / -0
    Kipp Stoltzfus
    What is your projected time frame to complete the job if you did win the bid?
  7. Joseph Rogers

Ratings:
    +1,708 / 22 / -1
    Joseph Rogers
    Business Location:
    United States
    Still working on square footage calculations. With a helper, after a day or two to get him comfortable, 2-3k sq. ft. per day or so.
  8. jaymark1

jaymark1 Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +3,528 / 24 / -0
    Jay
    Business Location:
    United States
    I am in no way a commerical guy at all, so I am interested in hearing some answers from some of the heavy hitters on here.

I just cant picture doing something like that with a porty. Not putting you down at all, you are not kidding when you titled this thread "logistics"
  9. Joseph Rogers

Ratings:
    +1,708 / 22 / -1
    Joseph Rogers
    Business Location:
    United States
    I'd love to know how it goes, too. I'll tell you when I land it and get paid, yeah? ;)

My heart's in my throat. This job alone could pay my bills for an entire year, with some left over. I'm a little staggered by the enormity. I'd been thinking maybe 10k when I went there, and when measured the length of the hallway, I almost fell over.
  10. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +13,058 / 27 / -0
    Todd Cottino
    Business Location:
    United States
    60,000 square feet at .65 a square foot is $39,000. You might volume discount down to .40 a square foot so that you get $24,000. I wouldn't do the job for less than $20,000.I would guess if you can manage 400 square feet per man hour that would be 150 man hours of work. I generaly dont scrub tile & grout and just use chemical and water pressure, but with your limitations on the amount of water you will want to use you mightwant to look into a CRB such as a whittaker machune with one of the softer brushes that will go down into the grout lines. I would go rent a secnd portable, even if you have to drive several hours to find a good one and then hire 3 hourly workers to help you and pay them $20 per hour which would only cost you $2300 in labor and you could get the job done in a week.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Caulkmaster

Caulkmaster Active Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 1 / -0
    Mike Holm
    Business Location:
    United States
    Do you not have auto-fill auto-dump or just no where to get and dump water?

Mike
  12. Eric J

Eric J Member

Ratings:
    +90 / 0 / -0
    Eric Jenkins
    Business Location:
    United States
    i am sorry but a porty? on 45-60K ft? bringing in your own water and pump out tank.

why can't a TM be used?

where in VA are you? I could come and knock it out for you as a sub in 2 days work.
  13. Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,669 / 53 / -14
    Business Location:
    United States
    If you are doing 2k sqft a day and you have 45-60k sqft, do the math, you need help. Bring in a big dog to ensure your success, keep a really happy customer for future work and I'm sure the big dog will happily cut you in. If you botch this (and I don't just mean quality, you know how to do quality) but botch timelines and make there business interrupted and irritate them you will loose credibility and future work.

You say a TM is out of the question but it may not be, me and eyeball did a 70k+ CC job but we had three wands and two cimex's running 12 hours straight, auto full and dumps running, and four guys vacuuming, and bucket brigaiding, but because it was a retail store and they needed it locked up we hired a professional security guard to stand at the one open door the whole time, and he ran off a couple trolls that were eyeing the TM's.

There are so many factors at play here it's hard to advise you, I would hate to suggest a price and you find your self loosi g your shirt or just as bad getting the job at a great pay but failing to meet the requirements.

You will absolutely need autofill/dump setup id think. That's a lot of water use and recovery...
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Joseph Rogers

Ratings:
    +1,708 / 22 / -1
    Joseph Rogers
    Business Location:
    United States
    I've got AD and AP...but I don't really think there's going to be many options on getting water.

Tron, once I get everything figured out square footage wise, I'm gonna be doing some further planning.

How many sq. feet of tile and grout can the rest of you guys do in an hour or a day? Was on another forum, and one guy was talking about doing 2k sq. feet per HOUR. I had a hard time with that one...
  15. Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +13,058 / 27 / -0
    Todd Cottino
    Business Location:
    United States
    I personaly do 200-300 sq ft per hour.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. TheEyeball

TheEyeball Guest

Ratings:
    +3,143 / 17 / -43
    The logistics are that it's illogical to ask for this to be done with a portable. What you need is a Prowler. With my truck mount that job would take ten 8 hour nights. If this were my estimate I would consider the area too big to use a sqft rate. Two guys a night @ $100 each (includes chems, labor, profit) it comes to $16k. I would also add in more because it would displace what I would normally be working on during the day, so I want an extra $4k for roughly two weeks of lost day work. That's $20k, and then I would want another $2k just because, so my bid would be $22k. I would not care if I got the job or not. And I think a Prowler would be perfect to get it done.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Joseph Rogers

Ratings:
    +1,708 / 22 / -1
    Joseph Rogers
    Business Location:
    United States
    What's a Prowler? I know AMTEX makes it, but what separates it from portables or Truckmounts?
  18. Kipp

Kipp Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +6,590 / 10 / -0
    Kipp Stoltzfus
    Todd no way .40 per sq/ft lands this job...plus it's a property management company...guys will bid this at around .20 per sq/ft even as low as .15 I bet...

And $20 per hour for a helper? I would spend about $12 per hour, run 3 two man crews and get it done in 3 days (if it's 60k sq/ft)

Run about $1800-$2000 in labor and net $7k plus on the job...

Not grinding you just giving my opinion...
  19. Kipp

Kipp Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +6,590 / 10 / -0
    Kipp Stoltzfus
    Oh and Todds right you need high pressure machines (m12) or similiar...175's prescrubbing would help...
  20. Joseph Rogers

Ratings:
    +1,708 / 22 / -1
    Joseph Rogers
    Business Location:
    United States
    Does it make a difference if he didn't put this out to bid, instead I contacted him, and he asked me to put a bid in?

I'm used to charging $1.50 to $2.00 per square to clean and seal. I understand volume gets a discount, but .20? Gtfo. How the hell are you supposed to do quality work? He made it clear he's looking for a proper job, instead of a fast one.