Little Giant Propane Heater vs Northstar Diesel Heater

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by Jimsteam, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Jimsteam

Jimsteam Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,837 / 12 / -1
    Jim
    Business Location:
    United States
    If I had more space I would consider the NorthStar diesel heater. The extra heat and pressure would be great for power washing etc..
    Cons would be the extra space required-weight-cast iron burner residue - need for extended exhaust due to heat and I believe it requires 120 volt to operate pump.
    Little Giant -no electric required -copper coil (no residue)-lightweight-short exhaust stack-12in by 12 in floor space. The exhaust vent is under the tray (cookie sheet) I have for my Hydra Force in line sprayer in the pic at bottom of page.
    Little Giant has been used by TM and porty users for years and years! @ 50cts per hour to run.
    Like extractors etc. they both have their pros and cons . Both will do a great job with proper care.
    JIM
  2. henryHalliday

henryHalliday Active Member

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    henry halliday
    Business Location:
    United States
    can you adjust the amount of heat the LT puts out (eg turn down the gas so the flames are not so intense)?

I use a diesel burner and the only problem I have is its either full on or off..... so I can get heat spikes when it kicks in before the thermostat turns off the fuel,

if I could control the amount of fuel being injected into the chamber I think the heat spike would be less extreme.

but it has a steel coil which will handle 3000psi
  3. Jimsteam

Ratings:
    +2,837 / 12 / -1
    Jim
    Business Location:
    United States
    Yes,
    Fully adjustable thermostat on the Little Giant.
  4. dgardner

dgardner New Member

Ratings:
    +420 / 0 / -0
    Dan Gardner
    While there IS an adj. Tstat on the LG, it does NOT change the output temperature. The LG was originally designed for baptism pool heating, and measures the temp of the incoming water. The idea being the gas shuts off when the water coming back from the pool is warm enough. When we use it for cc, the water never comes back, so the stat sees cold water all the time the wand is keyed. The effect is that the burner never shuts off as long as the wand is keyed. The stat setting only affects how fast the burner shuts off after you unkey the wand. So the operation is really about the same as the diesel flow fired burner.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  5. Kipp

Kipp Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +6,586 / 10 / -0
    Kipp Stoltzfus
    I have been building my van setup for the last week, I went with the Northstar burner, primarily because I needed the higher PSI and the ease of getting diesel fuel. I have it set up after my Prochem Everest HP. I ran it off both the high and low pressure side. You do have to use tools that have jets that are rated 4 GPM or higher to fire the burner, and from my first test so far it looks like you have to be around 500 PSI to fire the burner. Which is fine because I am using it for tile and grout cleaning and to boost the temp when cleaning nasty carpet with a 6 jet high flow wand.

My Everest is the HP with pressure washing function so with the heater hooked up I can run 1200-1500 psi on tile and grout with unlimited heat...I tested it at 1500 PSI and it delivered 250 without breaking a sweat....

The diesel burner works well and the nice thing is you can use it as a boost instead of your only heat source. There is no thermal regulator on the input so you can run 220 degree water into it, if you leave it off it still allow flow through the machine or kick it on and boost temp up to 250.

I am building a custom stack that goes straight out the roof of my van with a cool vent cover I found to keep the elements out. It does require 120V I have an inverter hooked up to my TM battery, it draws 5 amps to fire the burner. It does have a thermostat on it so you can control your heat. I am leaving my set at 245 because it will be used to boost heat when needed, it's not my primary heat source. I installed a temp gauge on the output side of the diesel burner to be able to see temp coming out. I install the temp gauge and moved the on/off switch to a plate I mounted on the side of my machine for ease of use. Nice thing about diesel is the fuel tank can be inside vs. propane.
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Jimsteam

Ratings:
    +2,837 / 12 / -1
    Jim
    Business Location:
    United States
    There is no difference in heat output from the low setting to the highest setting on the LG ?? When cleaning upholstery or wool rugs I always turn down to lower setting and do "feel" a difference.
    I do probably "key" the wand less with upholstery and rug cleaning. Holding the trigger constantly you do get the maximum heat output.
    The temperature would be the same if I filled a 5 gallon bucket at the lowest setting vs the highest setting. Both being keyed equally?
    JIM
  7. JAY

JAY Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Jay
    Business Location:
    United States
    hey 1kaday, i am going to add a diesel hot box and have doing alot of internet shopping and other informational homework. thanx for sharing what you are doing and how it is working for you.

500psi to get the flow switch working? what gpm range is your unit rated? does that have everything to do with getting it set up properly?

i was looking for something south of 2k and these are some examples of what im looking at.... any opinions apreciated

http://www.4000psi.com/search.aspx?searchterm=hot box
  8. Harry Mullett

Harry Mullett Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +2,089 / 15 / -4
    John Bunn
    Business Location:
    United States
    I have added a Landa propane fired water heater to my Truckmount System. It really rocks the hot water 4000 psi rated and 360,000 btu burner. I did change the flow switch so that the burner would turn on for carpet cleaing. Also installed a thermostat to assist with temperature control as with most pressure washer type water heaters it is either all or nothing.

It is big and takes up more room then the Little Giant. I have a system with the Little Giant 3HT High Pressure also. Little Giant works great for carpet cleaning and burns less propane. Neither of these systems require electricity. And propane is readily available in my area so they have been a good fit for me.

I posted a link of some of the pictures I have previously posted. (hopefully the link works)

http://www.truckmountforums.com/gen...ry-discussion/14215-new-hot-water-heater.html
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Kipp

Kipp Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +6,586 / 10 / -0
    Kipp Stoltzfus
    I think my Everst is rated at 4.8 GPM so it exceeds the 4 GPM needed for the Northstar...you have to have the same flow rate at whatever tool you are using (over 4)...in my preliminary tests I could only get it to fire at 500 PSI or above. This really serves my purpose anyway but I think you could swith that out for a flow switch that would fire lower and possibliy at a lower flow rate, I really am not sure on that...
  10. dgardner

dgardner New Member

Ratings:
    +420 / 0 / -0
    Dan Gardner
    Pretty much. The LG burner is on or off, no in between. Once the burner is triggered on, it pretty much stays on until the flow stops. I imagine there is some tiny flow that would cycle the burner, but it would be less than 2 flow.

The deal with an uph tool is the flow is so low that the water takes a long time to run through the hose, giving it more time to cool off.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. grimel

grimel New Member

Ratings:
    +366 / 0 / -0
    George Rimel
    Business Location:
    United States
    Jim go with the diesel hot box. You can use any pressure washer you choose less than 4000 psi with 2-4gpm flow. Just needs a small 120 to run the burner.
  12. greendale cleaning

greendale cleaning Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    Steve Penn
    Business Location:
    Australia
    Just bought an LG 3ht can't wait for it to turn up so i can set it up and try it out.
  13. Jimsteam

Ratings:
    +2,837 / 12 / -1
    Jim
    Business Location:
    United States
    Thanks George
    Already have the 2ht LG. Some members have PMed me concerning the LG or NorthStar. Started a thread for opinions of 2 heaters
    JIM
  14. joeynbgky

joeynbgky Active Member

bowling green, ky, Nashville, Tn, Columbus, oh
    Ratings:
    +192 / 5 / -1
    joey upchurch
    Business Location:
    United States
    Lg 3 is safe reliable love it

Sent from my g2 using tapatalk. Whofat
  15. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Jon Bell
    Business Location:
    United States
    I use the LG 2ht and really like it! It sips propane like a polite, little, lady and tucks away in the corner of my trailer set up perfectly. Never have to wait for heat using my Recoil 3XPS.

Attached Files:

16. nc08

nc08 Owner and Operator

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Bill Martins
    Business Location:
    United States
    Can someone post a link/name of the Check valve they bought for their NS heater. I believe I need one for mine, waiting on the ST-6 flow switch.
  17. kennedy

kennedy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +411 / 2 / -0
    Bruce Kennedy
    Business Location:
    United States
    bought my check valve at windtrax, the same as flow switch, the valve i got has 3/8 in female threads so I had to get a 3/8 x 1/4 in reducer and adapter also from wintrax.
  18. nc08

nc08 Owner and Operator

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Bill Martins
    Business Location:
    United States
    Thanks Kennedy, I bought the flow switch from PressureTek, they were pretty quick with shipping. Gonna call them back on Monday and get the check valve. Was it pretty simple to install? I haven't installed my flow switch yet either.

Bill
  19. kennedy

kennedy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +411 / 2 / -0
    Bruce Kennedy
    Business Location:
    United States
    for the flow switch you mount it horizontal using the fitting already on the heater except the brass fitting above the flow switch, than you will need two 3/8 in female couplings. You also need to take the 3/8 in male quick connect off the outlet on the heater and replace it with a 1/4 in female quick connect to match up with your solution hose that goes to the wand. For the check valve you need to install the 3/8 in male quick connect taken off the outlet and install it on the outlet of the check valve to match up with the hose provided with the heater. on the inlet of the check valve you need to install a 1/4 male quick connect to match up to the female quick connect on your extractor.