Hydramaster Boxxer 421 does Not Prime..

Discussion in 'Hydramaster' started by imagecarpetcleaning, Sep 15, 2011.

1. imagecarpetcleaning

imagecarpetcleaning New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    mark cho
    Business Location:
    United States
    Hi,
    Hope someone can help me with this problem. I can't get the priming to work. I clean the orifices, check chemical line for any debri, checked hoses for loose clamps, took apart diaphram-cleaned and replaced, took off bolts from water pump side and top and checked all inserts ( don't know what you call it) it all looked good. I did all the basics and more...
    When I turn on the Prime I noticed the water going up the hose slightly but just stays there...I ran the machine for at least 20 mins with the Prime on but Nothing. Yes, I did do the Vacumm thing - inserting the the chemical line to vaccuum..does not pull water either, not even from the clear primer housing. Everything works fine, the heat and pressure is good, just no detergent! I had this problem before couple of years ago and I believe it was the Diaphram, back then it was dirty and he changed the inserts and there was also a crack on the primer housing as well. What can it be? The Pump?! Your help would be appreciated. Please E-mail me at imagecarpetcleaning@yahoo.com
    Thanks, Mark
  2. TruckmountPro

TruckmountPro New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Clint Morrill
    Business Location:
    United States
    try a different cylinder on the pump
  3. wandwizard

wandwizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 7 / -0
    Randy
    Business Location:
    United States
    My Boxxer has always been a little hard to prime too. Since you've already changed the diaphragm did you also change the check valves and o-rings? Most often the diaphragm is the culprit, but if the check valves in the chemical pump or the one that is on the water pump where the chemical pump connects is bad it won't draw properly or at all. I've found that taking the chemical draw hose while the machine is in prime and just bobbing it up and down quickly several times in your 5 gallon jug will often get it to prime really quick. You will almost immediately see the air bubbles going through your gph meter. I keep bobbing it until the air bubbles stop and the ball goes all the way to the top. Also, holding your hand or putting something over the vacuum intake of the machine will help it to prime more quickly. I've done it many, many times. If that doesn't cause it to prime I would replace the 2 check valves in the chemical pump and o-rings and the one for the water pump.
  4. Jsinopoli003

Jsinopoli003 Active Member

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    James Sinopoli
    Business Location:
    United States
    i had the same issue and it was the diaphram and the valves
  5. Ara Klujian

Ara Klujian Moderator & TMF Repair Expert Moderator

Ratings:
    +612 / 2 / -0
    ARA KLUJIAN
    Business Location:
    United States
    I have been seeing this allot lately. There are new three way chemical selectors being sold and they are very unorthidox when putting the plastic arrow handle back on. The best way to test if this issue is your chemical selector, you need to remove the plastic pointer knob and expose the pin. Turn the machine on on put your purge line in the vac inlet so you get a fast reponse. Turn the chemical sector pin until you see it starting to prime. If you see it starting to prime then your issue has been located. When you put the pointer knob back on make sure the screw that holds the knob it is not on the flat part. Yes thats right NOT on the flat part. For some reason the machining of these valves are not proper.
  6. JDARNOLD

JDARNOLD New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Edward Arnold
  7. JDARNOLD

JDARNOLD New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Edward Arnold
    TRY PUTTING A VAC LOAD ON UNIT BY COVERING THE VAC PORT WHILE HAVING 3WAY VALVE IN PRIME. THE 421 CHEM. SYSTEM DUMPS INTO WASTE TANK IN PRIME MODE. ALSO IF YOU HAVE ALOT OF HOURS ON THE PUMP THE SEALS IN HP.PUMP CAN BE WORN.
  8. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +637 / 2 / -0
    Here is the thing about theses little chemical pumps......that are not rated for high PSI...so when you are cleaning tile you are putting a lot of stress on the diaphragms ...........do yourself a favor and put a shut off valve on it to isolate it when doing tile.....also...on the prime tube....put a "T" in line and install a male QC on it.......if you have trouble getting it to prime..just hook your solution hose to it and just gently crack it open to create a flow and it will pick up every time............simple quick and easy..........