Has anyone used The Masters Touch to get started in the biz.

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Care' started by JPJ, Feb 5, 2009.

1. JPJ

JPJ New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    JP Johnson
    Hi All,

My name is JP Johnson and I am in central Oklahoma. I am interested in getting into hard surface cleaning business. I was wondering if any of you has started in the business using The Masters Touch equipment, training and model. If so, what has your experience been and would you recommend it. Do you have an idea of the time frame it takes to establish a reasonable business/income.

Thanks for thoughts and time,
    JPJ
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +4,781 / 7 / -1
    Personnally I have not used the Master Touch program. Comments I have heard have been mostly negative.

As to the time froma to establish a reasonable business, that will depend a lot on how you go about it.

Some guys on a budget start cleaning part-time while keeping another job to pay the bills. Other who have financing for a large marketing campaign hit the ground running.

Do not expect to get the equipment and training and folks will coem looking for you. It either takes time - maybe 2 or 3 years to build up a loyal group of customers who will do business with you every year or two or you need to have money to advertise and really work hard at promoting your business.

The exact time and money depends on how compettive your market is with other cleaners and how people are doing economically.

Scott Warrington
  3. JPJ

JPJ New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    JP Johnson
    Scott W.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind as I learn more about the biz and my local market.

JPJ
  4. Gary T

Gary T Moderator

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Garrett Tousignant
    I am a TMT owner, and that is how I started in this biz. I don't have much negative to say. They are not perfect, but neither is anyone else. Most of the negative stuff comes from the guys who bought and trained with them, went home to the couch and waited fore the phone to ring. Or form the jealous guys who started with a mop and bucket, and think everybody else should start that way too.

I have said many, many, many times. The TMT route is NOT for EVERYONE. You should have enough $$$$ to support the payments for 3-6 months, and market like crazy if you want to go that route. You can't jump in thinking the phone is going to ring off the hook 'cause you just dropped 50K on equipment and training.

TMT will help as best they can. They offer some of the best support around. However, they do not come home with you to hold your hand. They are NOT a franchise and therefore do not support financial results. It is up to you to get the work.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Nick P

Nick P Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    Nick Palumbo
    Business Location:
    United States
    I have to agre with Scott. I talked with them when I started cleaning T&G. They were the most expensive. You can get their set up from some that are in repo status if that's the way you want to go. But This Old Grout and A young Fella from the Tampa bay area could teach you a lot cheaper and they are both good. I would investigate more before you decide.
    Nick :AddEmoticons04259:
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Robthecarpetguy

Robthecarpetguy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1 / -0
    Rob
    Master's Touch franchise is the biggest rip off! they are over priced trailer units and many many people fail by being sucked into there program. I could get you 20-30 of there trailer packages from a REPO company that I know of. They are the number one repoed equipment in the industry right now. do not waste your money. Look at the Professional Carpet Systems Franchise and talk to Fritz Thompson tell him Rob Sutherby sent you....919 539 5910
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Gary T

Gary T Moderator

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Garrett Tousignant
    Hey Rob. Before you start ripping on a company, or anyone for that matter, Get your info straight. TMT is NOT a franchise. They do not collect fees or royalties. Yes they are expensive, but you get lifetime support, excellent training, and great equipment.

There are 20 times more CC van setups for sale out there too. It is a bad time for everyone.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jeff Ellis

Jeff Ellis Banned

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The equipment is nice as it is Power Clean private labeled truck mounts(at least they used to be). You can save thousands though if you buy direct.

I rarely use thread post to advertise but business is slow so what the heck. Give me a call I can set you up for half the cost of TMT.

Jeff
  9. ETC

ETC Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Tim
    Gary,

Thanks for stepping in on old Rob there. I was just about to type the same thing upon reading his post.

I also started out in February 2006 with TMT, at the time TurboForce International. I see that I could have started the business alot cheaper, but at the time, I knew nothing about the industry. It was so easy to setup with TMT that I was actually in business before I even realized what was going on. I should have investigated a little better.

I cant say too much negative about TMT. I ran a yellow page ad the first year, did 17K in business, kept all my customers, built to 27K in year two, and continue to grow to hopefully do 40K this year.

I have recently seen that TMT's site is no longer available or I am looking in the wrong place. The support has been OK. Some questions get answered while others are referred back to PowerClean.

So, it is a good deal for someone not knowing anything about the business but expensive if you already know the business.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. SABoyt

SABoyt New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    steve boyt
    Business Location:
    United States
    If you like the TMT equipment but not the price,contact TMT recovery at TMTrecovery.com. You get the same equipment and training and support after the sale for half the price.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Hankofstw

Hankofstw New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Henry Moore
    Business Location:
    United States
    I appreciate all of the comments made and suggestions offered...I signed in to this forum for the exact reasons of wanting to learn and explore possibilities...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. safeclean

safeclean Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Craig McClymont
    Business Location:
    Australia
    There are many different ways to get into the hard surface industry and there are many courses in the USA on offer. TMT sounds like a good start if you are newbie as they can set you up with everything except for marketing but I am told they go through this with you so you know what works best. Even franchise companies do not have the marketing support.

If I was you I would learn as much as you can from the dirty grout forum and learn it yourself, ask as many questions as you like I am sure you will get the help you need. Heck thats how I started and many others aswell. I know a guy who now offers franchises in the tile and grout industry all over the world thanks to dirtygrout all he did was read read read. Hope this helps. By the way check out Grout Perfect USA they can certailny help you out in starting your new adventure the right way.

Craig
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tile Professional

Tile Professional Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +406 / 6 / -0
    Andrew Abt
    Business Location:
    United States
    If I were you I would buy a El Diablo for $16K and then $3k of more tools and a cheap van and then spend time here learning and asking questions. You will get better training IMO and a more powerful machine for half the price.
    TRUST ME TRUCKMOUNT FORUMS IS ALL THE SUPPORT YOU WILL EVER NEED
    These folks around here are great.

Drew
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Phil101

Phil101 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Philip Sanders
    Business Location:
    United States
    i think this is so great that i can read all this info. I was think so hard about TMT. but like some of you said reseach more and that's what i will do thank you all for the good info.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Alan G

Alan G New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Alan Graham
    Business Location:
    United States
    I have researched several companies and I am diversifying between hard surfaces and carpet. TMT has been the most helpful and have answered any question I have. As far as the expense, the support alone is worth the extra cost, since not everyone has business experience or degrees. You, as the owner, make your business, not the expense. Word of mouth is best advertisement you can have. Concerns on trailer expense, if you go buy a 5' x 8' trailer, that is all you buy. A trailer without graphic advertising, and a full, swing open rear door. No hooks for equipment or shelving for chemicals. Sounds like the threads above get a percentage for advertising for someone else. Pray about it, see where you are lead before going into anything. Only you can decide if it is for you or not. An A+ BBB rating helped me make my decision, since the other companies I have checked out are not even BBB certified. Good luck with all your business decisions.

Alan
    • Like Like x 2
  16. shane deubell

shane deubell Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +9,925 / 66 / -5
    Business Location:
    United States
    Support is worth $25k?

Sheesh tmf will support you for Free, LOL
    Sucker
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. mmullis@satx.rr.com

mmullis@satx.rr.com Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Retired Army guy here and I started my company in 07. Did the van with TMT. Didn't know a thing about the industry and this past year (2012) I did over $250,000 in sales with one van and one full time employee. He does most of the work. First two years ran the truck myself and I learned a great deal about the tech side as well as how to market my business. Went to as much training as I could get! We do mainly stone & tile and Grout....we charge a premium for carpet....but we don't bait & switch...upsell ect...I'll tell you it was a long and painful process to finally pay the lease off on the van....penalty to pay off early ect...Would I buy another unit from TMT based off what I know now???? No, but with that said I knew nothing about the industry when I started. Can I get what I need now in a 2nd van for less....you bet I can! Bottom line is this.....it worked for me as I was in the black from day one but I worked my butt off getting commercial clients....we know do mostly residential now. I have seen three TMT units come to San Antonio and fail......why... lack of marketing? ONE thing that I do know or have learned......YOU MUST SPEND MOney to make MOney.......advertising is a must!!!!! I spent a min of $1500 a month my first three years in business in advertising and TRACKED every single job......now I spend $500 on advertising a month and have four times the business. YOU CAN"T SIT AT HOME and do nothing and expect the phone to ring.....We have built a very good reputation and with that we charge a premium for our services.....I charge for estimates and some days I collect more in estimate fees that carpet cleaners that do 3 rooms for $49.95???
    Mark Mullis
    Owner
    Lone Star Tile and Grout Cleaning
    www.lonestartileandgroutcleaning.com
    • Like Like x 2
  18. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

1ST CHOICE CLEANING Moderator Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +8,677 / 40 / -0
    jason fisher
    Business Location:
    United States
    Good post but why did you wait 5+ years to make it?
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. mmullis@satx.rr.com

mmullis@satx.rr.com Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Five years to make what?
  20. 1ST CHOICE CLEANING

1ST CHOICE CLEANING Moderator Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +8,677 / 40 / -0
    jason fisher
    Business Location:
    United States
    Your profile shows that you joined the forum in 2008 and you made your first post in 2013, that's the 5 years I was referring to. I was wondering if you forgot about TMF for awhile or if you just read a lot without posting. Either way I'm glad to see you posting and welcome to the forum.
    • Agree Agree x 1