handling phone calls

Discussion in 'Offline Marketing' started by ayetti, Feb 19, 2012.

ayetti

ayetti Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +773 / 3 / -0
    Alex
    Business Location:
    United States
    I was wondering how many guys answer their own phones all day. I have never had a problem with it in any other business, but for the most part they were not all sales calls. I feel like I am a bit awkward on the phone, maybe a bit too personal or perhaps a bit too candid with people. I hate when an awkward silence develops on a sales call, it makes me think I haven't developed my technique well enough. I need to learn to push it from an info call to booking a job, and I feel like I don't accomplish that in a seamless way. I actually feel like customers would appreciate this, they are forced to spend too long on the phone with me while I book the job. I do book tons of jobs, and in fact I think maybe only 1 or 2 jobs a week don't end up booking, but I still feel i could do better. I hate when I call a business and it doesn't feel 100% professional.

Not sure exactly what my question here is, I am just realizing that I have an issue that needs to be dealt with and was wondering if anyone had any input.
    Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

Supply
    Ratings:
    +5,664 / 53 / -14
    Business Location:
    United States
    Are you asking advice on incoming phone calls or sales calls you are making?

I do answer my own phone in the field all day everyday, no offense to my wife but I don't think she will be able to convert hard sales and tricky questions that need side stepped because they are dumb and irrelavent and I don't want the customer to know that.

As far as making sales calls I have never done it, never wanted to. My wife has talked about starting to do this for me in the future and just setup estimates for me to run.
    shane deubell

shane deubell Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +8,122 / 50 / -5
    Business Location:
    United States
    Practice more then anything, i do follow an outline of questions we need to know and just go down the list casually. Think i have found it is keeping relaxed and cool, try to keep your voice an even tone.
    crash1big

crash1big Well-Known Member

owner operator
    Ratings:
    +1,503 / 5 / -0
    Marlan Brown
    Business Location:
    United States
    My wife and daughter answer the phones. However,; I did the training. A polite female voice at the other end does wonders. We try to let the customer lead the conversation to a point by asking questions like :

Have you ever had your carpeting cleaned?
    Have we ever cleaned your carpet?
    Do you have a special day of the week that works best for you?

Let them kind of talk. If they seem a little "in a hurry" then we stick to the basics and just book the job. We explain everything else when we get there.

At the end of the conversation we tell them how much we appreciate their call and we look forward to meeting them. The word "appreciate" seems to go a long way. :)
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

Supply
    Ratings:
    +5,664 / 53 / -14
    Business Location:
    United States
    That sounds like a great system your family has set up. I have a great wife that is good with computers and office management so I have been thinking I need to get her on the phones but like I mentioned wasn't sure bout it because of the "questions" that need answered. What you mentioned is exactly what I want to do. I have two daughters also, so I look forward to them becoming involved in my business also.
    crash1big

crash1big Well-Known Member

owner operator
    Ratings:
    +1,503 / 5 / -0
    Marlan Brown
    Business Location:
    United States
    DO IT! Your customers will love you for it. Your not too far away. Maybe I could stop in some day and see your setup/ how your doing. :)
    ayetti

ayetti Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +773 / 3 / -0
    Alex
    Business Location:
    United States
    I should have clarified at the beginning, these are calls coming into our office. They are almost always a for sure thing, I just feel like I am making them a bit more awkward than I need to.

I almost think having someone on the phone who doesn't have all the knowledge would be beneficial, it may push a sale. I feel like I ask the homeowner good important questions, but the bottom line is they want their carpet cleaned not to answer a bunch of questions regarding there carpet. I have already done the math on getting an office girl and I am going to use Shane's system for now. Book the job then ask a series of questions, if they are not in a hurry. I almost always connect with people well, but they don't want to be connected to, they want their carpets cleaned.

This really isn't about losing sales, I only lose 1-2 a week and they are almost always price shoppers or far away. I can just see that it is going to be an issue in the long run.

I think more than likely it will just get better and more polished with time.
    ayetti

ayetti Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +773 / 3 / -0
    Alex
    Business Location:
    United States
    Shane is your avatar a pic of you as a kid? You bear a striking resemblance to Opie Taylor. No offense intended at all, just pointing it out.
    shane deubell

Ratings:
    +8,122 / 50 / -5
    Business Location:
    United States
    Its beaver from leave it to beaver...

Although i did look like that a little bit, close.
    ayetti

ayetti Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +773 / 3 / -0
    Alex
    Business Location:
    United States
    LOL I loved that show! Can't believe I could get the two confused.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    LFC

LFC Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +1,865 / 23 / -1
    Mike McNally
    Business Location:
    United Kingdom

Strategies for success have some great free info and one of them is how to answer the phone and convert the caller. I'm sure if you search the site you will find it or no doubt Steve will be along soon enough to give you the link. I'm on my iPad and don't have the link otherwise I would have pasted it for you.
    LFC

LFC Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +1,865 / 23 / -1
    Mike McNally
    Business Location:
    United Kingdom
    I can certainly see the likeness as them two little curls look just like your horns.
    shane deubell

Ratings:
    +8,122 / 50 / -5
    Business Location:
    United States
    For me anyway, i try to keep the conversation casual and never use industry related words or become too technical. Try words a consumer would use... if asked only we have a van based system, steam cleaning, what kind of carpet do you have? berber.short pile.shag/thick, Do you have any special spots/spills, any specific days/times you need?

convience type questions
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen Strategies for Success

Director of Training, Jon-Don's Strategies for Suc
    Ratings:
    +1,727 / 6 / -0
    Steve Toburen
    Business Location:
    Dominican Republic
    Thanks for thinking of us, Mike. And yes, getting the phone down is absolutely essential. Our SFS phone script is a free, no-strings-attached download. Let me know what you think.

Steve Toburen
    www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I would urge everyone to get a bit OCD on incoming phone calls. When you lose one it isn't "just a phone shopper". It just MAY be a lifetime customer that could have become a Cheerleader providing you with many thousands of dollars in downstream income.