Flir vs Fluke

Discussion in 'Water Damage, Fire & Mold Restoration' started by leofry, Jan 25, 2011.

1. leofry

leofry Active Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    john rogers
    anythoughts on which is best?
  2. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +4,771 / 7 / -1
    Both companies offer a lot of models and most do what they say they will. The really difficult decision is not which brand to buy but which model is right for your application and your budget.

Fluke is mostly aimed at industrial uses. The temperature ranges for which they are calibrated, the features they offer and so forth is target to checking machinery and electric equipment. Flir has lines for industrial (usually with an I in the model) and other models for home inspection and restoration. I think the Flir will suit more restoration users and are often a better value, but both companies make good equipment.

We carry several Flir units.
  3. leofry

leofry Active Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    john rogers
    what are you thoughts on the lowest price one... i think its the i7.... its like $1600.... the question is after you buy this one will you spend the next few years thinking that was not the one to buy I should have bought the next model up ?
  4. Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +4,771 / 7 / -1
    The i5 is actually the lowest priced model at $1595 retail.

The camera does everything a restorer needs, but you might give up a few wants. The screen is smaller than more expensive models. You can not do a visible life photo to connect with the IR photo. This does not receive a signal from your other meters and put your meter readings on screen. Otherwise, you have similar temperature ranges, the same color palettes, same emissivity and a great camera.

Based on what I know about your company from posting on this site, I don't think you do enough water damage restoration that you would want to spend several hundred or even a few thousand dollars extra to have those nice features. Even my old bad eyes could see the screen just fine, but you may want to see one in real life before you buy. Small screen size is the biggest negative for me, but a bigger screen is not worth $400.
  5. leofry

leofry Active Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    john rogers
    good to know... this is something i would love to have in the furture....