CrptRader

CrptRader New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Daniel Williams
    What do you do when you enter a house and then realize its infested with fleas? Do you bomb your van? Also, what do you tell people that tell you over the phone that they have a flea problem?

I always tell them to call an exterminator first to take care of the fleas..and then I can come and clean the carpet. But today I had an exterminator tell me that I should clean first and then have him come because once I clean I will remove the insecticide that he is used and so there will be nothing left to kill the fleas. This makes some sense to me..but it doesn't solve my problem of carrying fleas with me to my next client. :rolleyes:

Also, If I was to wait till after the fleas have been killed, how long would I need to wait after they had been treated?
    ACC

ACC Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    Shawn Giroux
    Business Location:
    United States
    I dont think you want to clean the carpet directly after he sprays the chemical. His process needs to take its full course then clean carpet.
    SeriousHeat

SeriousHeat New Member

Cleaning Tech
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Matt Weddle
    I have a friend that is an exterminator and he says it is best to clean prior to his flea treatment. The thinking is that the HWE kills the adult pupulation so his treatment can focus on leaving a residual insecticide that will kill the fleas that hatch later on.

I don't think you have to worry about carrying live fleas with you. I cant see how they could survive the pressure and heat from the wand and being sucked into a big water filled waste tank.

Happy carpet cleaning! :)

Matt
    CrptRader

CrptRader New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Daniel Williams
    My concern is more about having them on the outside of the hoses, on me, the wand, and whatever else I take into the house. I know that there is probably only a small chance of carrying fleas into another house..but it could be a real disaster if it ever happened..i would hate to be known as the carpet cleaner who carries fleas with him. lol
    Jennifer's Cleaning Services

Jennifer's Cleaning Services Member

Jennifer's Cleaning Services LLC
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Chad Smith & Jennifer Fogleman
    Business Location:
    United States
    Just clean the carpets and before you load up your van, have either your assistant or yourself check for them. You'll be able to see them. They are hard to kill though, you can't just squeeze them with your fingers.
    SuzukiRider

SuzukiRider New Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Alex Plop
    Business Location:
    United States
    Depending on what client it is I would probably let the exterminators run through as many times as needed to get rid of them.

Had a manager call me to cancel a job three times because they kept having fleas come back after each treatment. True they used Terminix to treat but it should have worked the first time.

To kill the little bastards I pop them between my thumb nails. They pop like little zits....

I have yet to have a call from a customer saying I may have brought fleas into their place.
    Newman

Newman Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Chris Newman
    eeeeew, What if someone drops off a flea infested rug to my rug plant, and does not warn me to quarenteen it?
    Daron Farrar

Daron Farrar Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 1 / -0
    If you know the place has fleas before hand then treat the areas w/ Microban X-580 and charge accordingly. I am actually going to clean a mattress for a client that has fleas tommaro. She has already had the exterminator out a few times but she still wakes up with flea bites, the exterminator told her to throw away the mattress and called me to see if they can be saved. Apparently it is a pretty new $2000 mattress set. I plan to pre and post treat w/ microban and I think that should protect me and the equipment as well as kill the fleas and larve.
    Matt Strader

Matt Strader Active Member

To make everyone's home a cleaner place to live in
    Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Matthew Strader
    Business Location:
    United States
    I don't know about the other presprays but the stuff I use has always paralyzed the fleas. Doesn't kill them but stuns them long enough to get them to a dump site! I've done a few places like this and never had a problem with them following me. One was so bad as soon as I stepped foot in the house it looked like I was wearing black shoes and socks. And I don't
    leofry

leofry Active Member

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    john rogers
    I would go with handle the flea problem first let it take its course then go clean.
    Kenny Wright

Kenny Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +400 / 5 / -0
    Kenny Wright
    Business Location:
    United States
    I remember a rental I cleaned where the fleas were jumping all over me and the other guy. The former tenants had a couple of dogs inside as well as kids. It's hard to believe people live with stuff like that.

I started to tell the owners that I would wait until the fleas were exterminated but they seemed to quit moving after I presprayed Traffic Slam & Citrus Solve (the fleas, not the owners).:-D