Engine oil in the air filter box?

Discussion in 'Prochem' started by theshining247, Jun 14, 2012.

1. theshining247

theshining247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Ryan
    Business Location:
    United States
    Hey guys I found some engine oil where the air filter sits. Does anyone know why this is happening? I think this is causing the engine to run a little rough.
  2. Pinosan

Pinosan Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +3,344 / 16 / -0
    Martin Sanchez
    Business Location:
    United States
    could be bad rings check the spark plugs if oily do a compression test and a leak down test. If compression test fails you are done.
  3. ronman

ronman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,433 / 8 / -0
    Ron
    Business Location:
    United States
    What kind of engine?
    On a Kohler, you can get that if the filter is dirty and the engine is not breathing right.

Also if the crankcase breather is not working right.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pinosan

Pinosan Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +3,344 / 16 / -0
    Martin Sanchez
    Business Location:
    United States
    totally right I forgot about the crankcase breather.
  5. theshining247

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Ryan
    Business Location:
    United States
    Sorry i forgot to mention. it's a briggs and stratton 18hp vanguard. A local small engine shop did a compression test and it checked out fine. At the time I didn't know about this issue. I just dropped off my van and told them it was running rough and backfiring a little bit. Also leaking oil. They looked at it breifly and told me I had an exhaust leak and I needed crankcase gaskets. They said they were going to order the parts and call me when they come in. They said it would be around $415 for parts and labor. They were too busy and never cared to call me back.
  6. mahlonzehr

mahlonzehr Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +348 / 1 / -0
    Mahlon Zehr
    Business Location:
    United States
    I had 2 18 hp Briggs with the same problem. I was going through an air filter every month or so. I finally replaced the engine with a basically new one, and had the exact same problem. Had a mechanic look at it and tinker with it but never could get it figured out. I rerouted the oil line so it quite fouling my filter at least, but eventually I just replaced with a 24 hp Honda, which solved my problem...
  7. kingjoelking

kingjoelking Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,003 / 3 / -0
    Joel Riggs
    Business Location:
    United States
    Briggs runs a breather tube off the valve cover into the filter box. if that little tube is off it will shoot oil all over the place. I dont know what the heel it is for it makes no sense to me but that is the way they set ish up.
  8. Pinosan

Pinosan Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +3,344 / 16 / -0
    Martin Sanchez
    Business Location:
    United States
    All engines have to have it. that tube gets the "air" from inside the crankcase reducing the pressure so your gaskets won't blow.
    Look at the cars and all of them have a PCV (positive crancase ventilation)valve installed.
  9. kingjoelking

kingjoelking Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,003 / 3 / -0
    Joel Riggs
    Business Location:
    United States
    Ah ha!!!!! Figured there must be a reason but it god it makes a mess if it is unhooked. (dont ask me how I know this)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ara Klujian

Ara Klujian Moderator & TMF Repair Expert Moderator

Ratings:
    +612 / 2 / -0
    ARA KLUJIAN
    Business Location:
    United States
    Its normal for some oil to be present near the air filter. Some engines have non while others have a little. If the problem is really bad then there is an issue.
  11. theshining247

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Ryan
    Business Location:
    United States
    10-4 thanks guys
  12. Nutstyle

Nutstyle Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Alberto Rivero
    Business Location:
    United States
    Hey Ryan, any solution found for this problem? mine started to do the same, running rough, specially when accelerated, it feels unpowered and sounds like misfiring, and just noticed oil in the air filter box.

i hope the engine is not done.
  13. theshining247

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Ryan
    Business Location:
    United States
    Hahaha, sorry I have to laugh cause ive had 3 mechanics inspect my machine and they STILL can't find out why it runs a little rough and sounds like it's backfiring. I can tell you what I had done and it has drastically improved but still doesn't run like it did 6 months ago.

First I brought it to a mechanic where he replaced the exhaust gaskets, both head and valve cover gaskets, and adjusted the valves. Well It was 5 PM when I picked it up and I didn't try testing it while I was still there (Ill NEVER do that again) because this guy worked on my machine prior to my purchasing it and it ran great when I received it. When I got home (30 miles away) I tried starting it and it was running terrible! I was so pissed off cause I had a full schedule the next day. I thought I could tough it out and let it run rough but I got to the first job and I wouldn't start at all! I didn't have time to drive 30 miles back to the original idiot who screwed it up so I went to a local small engine shop where they adjusted the valves and recharged the battery cause I drained it trying to start it at the first job. I ran 50% better so i finished the day.

After that I brought it to a guy who races lawnmowers and it a gear head with these small engines. He changed the plugs, did a leak down test and adjusted the valves AGAIN and he said they were WAY off!

Now the machine runs a lot better (90%) and it spits very minimal oil in the air box. Hopefully whoever you bring it to knows how to adjust the valves CORRECTLY. Now my next problem is the blower, the lobes are knocking and i'm waiting for that $1500 problem to sneak up on me :) Good luck and it's all part of the business. A lot of MY issues come from the previous owner who wasnt attentive enough with maintenance. Keep me informed if they find out what it was.....
  14. Pinosan

Pinosan Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +3,344 / 16 / -0
    Martin Sanchez
    Business Location:
    United States
    It sounds like your machine is overloaded. may be your blower is seizing and it's putting more load on the engine and the engine of course can't handle it. Remove the belts to the blower and turn on the machine. still the same? remove the belt to the pump and turn it on still the same? look for any restrictions on the breather tube. still the same check the compression.
    If removing the blower belts makes the engine work fine. inspect the blower bearings. grab the blower shaft and in an up and down left to right motion "wiggle" the shaft. if it moves to the sides or up and down replace the main shaft bearings. After you do that turn the shaft by hand two or three turns making sure nothing drags inside. That is the most common problem with blowers it's an easy fix and you can save more than 1K in repairs if you are handy and want to check it yourself.
    You are way to far otherwise I would check it up for you. but you can always give me a call and try to help you.
  15. theshining247

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Ryan
    Business Location:
    United States
    Oh yea I forgot, when I have a load on the engine (suction hole is partially or fully blocked) it no longer runs rough or misfires. The good mechanic of the three suggested that the heads may be a little warped from overheating (which may be the case because the previous owner told me that I never have to open the heat valve at the end of each job!). Good advise.......
  16. ronman

ronman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,433 / 8 / -0
    Ron
    Business Location:
    United States
    What make/model machine is it?

As far as the blower, if the lobes are touching, it sounds like the bearings are worn, and it could damage the blower if you don't fix it fast.
  17. theshining247

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Ryan
    Business Location:
    United States
    I have a prochem blazer xl and i put some time and research into this blower issue last month. Here's what I came up with, the belts seem to be tentioned correctly and not too tight, I called sutorbilt and the closest repair facility is in lakeland (2hrs. away), I gave a detailed description over the phone to the tech and he sent me an estimate via email stating what it would run me. $750-950 to replace the bearings, o rings, shims and spacers, gaskets, and reset lobe timing and paint as required. And that's if all the main parts are reuseable and not damaged. Or the cost for a brand new one is $1375.

I was thinking about doing it myself but I would like to learn more due to the fact that down time is $ and it's a "precision blower" and not like fixing a vacuum. I was happy to find a video from Rob on here but there isn't part 2,3,or4 of rebuilding it. I don't have a garage or a work space so it will be a pain in the ass for me to do this so I kind of gave up and was gonna ride it till the wheels fall off. Unless there are any members on here in South Florida that have expierence and can help me with this. I called my local prochem dealer and they suggested that I just relace it cause they had a blower from a Peak rebuilt and it only lasted a year.

If there is someone who can help or give me detailed instructions then I would love that! But i'm currently at a stand still.....
  18. ronman

ronman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,433 / 8 / -0
    Ron
    Business Location:
    United States
    I've got a number 3 blower from a Panther.