Dryer vent cleaning at apt complex. advise needed.

Discussion in 'Air Duct Cleaning Forum' started by carl2591, Feb 2, 2012.

1. carl2591

carl2591 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Carl Newton
    Business Location:
    United States
    bidding on several apt complex chimney and dryer vent cleaning on one. Building at modest 3 story unit with dryer vents at most 20 ft up. They currently have bird guards on them and the 4 flap type.

distance from outside to dryer connection inside is appx 20 ft.

the vent has rigid elbow in wall then goes to white vinyl flex crap used in the 80's to outside vent.

was putting proposal together trying to cover all the bases.

here is what i have come up with to this point.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

With regards to the dryer vents, (approx. 396) our cleaning tools will be used from the outside of the units cleaning to the flexible hose behind the dryer. No lint will be blown into the unit in most cases. In addition, existing bird guards attached to the outside of each dryer vent will need to be removed and then put back on. Our pricing is as follows:

o $xx.00 per unit to clean vent including removing and re-install bird guards. Minimum of 100 units per service request.
    o This service will be to CLEAN DRYER VENTS only and does not cover the dryer itself if attached. Any issues including: extreme blockages, birds nests, broken, split, missing or other damages are NOT covered under this proposal. Any needed repairs can be quoted and addressed separately.
    o We will provide minimal cleanup of lint from work area but due to nature of the material it blows around quite easily.
    o The vent system was installed using white vinyl flex material that is NOT considered an approved material for dryer venting by the manufactures or current building codes. Subsequently, we DO NOT warrant that cleaning the vents will prevent a dryer or dryer vent related fire and assume no liability herewithin.

The method used is industry standard for large-scale projects of this nature and will not cause damage to existing dryer venting systems. We are NOT providing inspections of dryer vents prior to cleaning. This service is for CLEANING only.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

anyone using a good quote contract i might have a look at to make sure I am covering my butt on this best as possible.

also pricing advise welcome.

Will be using air skippers set up with compressor from outside only.

We currently clean residential DV with battery drill rotary brush system from outside as well. Usually metal piping and some vinyl if under house and accessible.

also advise on equipment.. seeing other post at compressor min 175 psi. looking at 175 gas powered unit with 8 gal tank putting out 15 CFM @ 175 psi using heat seal equipment SS-6, SK6 or the SK-3LP model.
  2. Dbonezny

Dbonezny Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +789 / 3 / -1
    Jose
    Business Location:
    United States
    Looks pretty legit to me!

Have you done a test on several units to determine if it's going to be worth doing the jobs?
  3. Kenny Wright

Kenny Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 5 / -0
    Kenny Wright
    Business Location:
    United States
    Use the Heat Seal sk3. Try to find a compressor that recovers fast enough that you won't be waiting around for it to catch up.

I'd go to the buildings and grab hold of one of the outside vent covers to see what shape they are in. After enough time, sun, and weather they can crumble when you bump them. It's better know in advance whether they will need replacing.
  4. carl2591

carl2591 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Carl Newton
    Business Location:
    United States

thanks for the input guys..

no have not tried to clean one, but did stick my head and hand in one noting it was the white vinyl flex crap. They run up the wall, over the ceiling to outside. not that long, less than 15 -18 ft. did not mess with flap.. they are the 4 flap kind so most likely need to get some spares for that.. they all have bird guard on them now that have to be removed before cleaning.

Kenny
    i was looking at SK3 . was wondering about it pulling back getting hung up. it is kinda blunt on hose end, will the air flow make it float in the vent? how about the SK3-LP low pressure model. Any knowledge of the SK6 or SK7..

Was looking at wheelbarrow type unit at northern tools, 175PSI with 8 gal tank. not sure how to figure recover rate on unit..could get a add on tank of 30 gal for 399 from heat seal but that put it near the lower unit pricing with a 30 gal tank not 8.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200380046_200380046

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...83?cm_sp=Upsells-_-Top Sellers-_-Product Page

would love to get this one but it not real portable. could mount on trailer and bring to jobsite. Was thinking one time about getting golf cart putting the cargo carrier on it and mounting comp. on that along with air hose reels.. get a small trailer and just drive it in to haul.. that would run on the property no problem for the most part.. that would be COOL for sure.. :bigsmiley:
  5. Kenny Wright

Ratings:
    +432 / 5 / -0
    Kenny Wright
    Business Location:
    United States
    The sk3 is the best when cleaning with compressed air. You will need the one rated for “195 psi or less”. Whether the end floats a little in the vent depends on the air pressure coming through. The air pressure and the spinning action of the sk3 is what will help you navigate turns. There is a learning curve; when you hit a difficult turn, let off the air so the pressure will build up then slowly push forward as you give it the air again. Don’t get impatient; that white accordion style duct tears easily when it gets some age on it. However, from your description, it sounds as if you will have straight shots with a couple of turns and that’s not too bad.

From your description, it sounds as though the vents go up from the dryer. This design is common but not good. That vertical part of the vent accumulates lint fast and it is difficult to clean adequately without going inside the home and disconnecting the vent from the dryer to vacuum/clean.

The NorthStar Honda GX270 looks nice but I haven’t used one of those. Your best bet would be calling the Heat Seal phone number on their website and asking about the air compressor specs you need. Here is the one I use.http://www.abatement.com/air-duct/equip-portable-air-compressors.htm
    It has a 9 hp Honda motor and I think it currently sells for $2200. It is a real workhorse. I use it for air duct cleaning so it may be more than you need for dryer vents. On the other hand, more is better than not enough.
  6. carl2591

carl2591 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Carl Newton
    Business Location:
    United States
    kenny
    i talked with trevor at heat seal for a while the other day.. in talking he was saying the northern 8 gal unit would work. He was saying to turn the pressure up to 200 and remove regulator to allow for max flow.. that along and increase CFM by 10 - 15% and that would be right in the ball park for needed CFM and pressure.. like were saying you can reduce air pressure to tool and make it move around. if we get the job i will be sure to let the board know..

thanks for all the info.
  7. Kenny Wright

Ratings:
    +432 / 5 / -0
    Kenny Wright
    Business Location:
    United States
  8. pocketarnie

pocketarnie New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    jon fone
    Business Location:
    United States
    We have also just been asked to do the Dryer Vent Cleaning for an apt complex, what would you look at charging for cleaning from the inside and the outside vent? 2 and 3 story apt, all individual vents, none shared. 1st floor is on ground level, 2nd and 3rd story is a gooseneck vent, both on the roof, 96 units have the stacked washer dryer units, the rest are side by side.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks