Connections Convention Events Officially Gone-Now 'The Experience 2013'

Discussion in 'Cleaning News' started by admin, Sep 26, 2012.

admin

admin Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,378 / 4 / -0
    Robert Allen III 'Tre'
    Business Location:
    United States
    Well it was fun while it lasted....somewhat....many years ago but then became not what many expected.

Press Release:

Connections Event’s Inc. September 2012 dissolutions
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA – September 4, 2012 – The Board of Directors of Connections Event’s Inc., a Not –for-Profit Corporation, would like to officially announce the dissolution of the corporation.
    We, the current Connections’ board representing 14 member associations, have worked diligently during this past year with legal assistance to help us resolve key issues surrounding Connections. After much debate and failure to ratify a new management services contract we unanimously agreed to dissolve the corporation.

The BoD’s would like to thank all the Vendors, Suppliers, staff, volunteers and, most of all, the attendees’ for making these past 10 years of Connections events possible.

On Behalf of all the Connections BoD’s
    Norm Maia – President Elect
    Gary Glenn- President
    Rob Allen

Rob Allen Administrator Staff Member Administrator

President
    Ratings:
    +11,529 / 32 / -0
    Robert Allen,Jr.
    Business Location:
    United States
    The Internet is changing everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Todd the Cleaner

Todd the Cleaner Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator Premium VIP

Owner / Operator
    Ratings:
    +11,631 / 26 / -0
    Todd Cottino
    Business Location:
    United States
    I have heard there will be changes and it will no longer be called Connections anymore but there will still be a convention in Florida and Las Vegas again next year. I hope there is anyway, I am looking forward to the second annual TMF dinner:cool:.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    AdmiralClean

AdmiralClean Poster

Ratings:
    +2,454 / 97 / -8
    Well, I see you are well enough to post now, after 15 hours of sleep. Were you simply tired, or getting old?
    ayetti

ayetti Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +773 / 3 / -0
    Alex
    Business Location:
    United States
    I will be bummed if I missed the last one
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Todd the Cleaner

Owner / Operator
    Ratings:
    +11,631 / 26 / -0
    Todd Cottino
    Business Location:
    United States
    Probably both.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    AdmiralClean

AdmiralClean Poster

Ratings:
    +2,454 / 97 / -8
    Yeah, they do tend to go together.

Ask me; I know.
    • Like Like x 1
    fritzthompson

fritzthompson New Member

Manager
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Fritz Thompson
    Business Location:
    United States
    The same Management Group that ran Connections with an Iron fist will attempt to resurrect it under ICRA.

The disappointment in the Connections program that has been voiced on this and other boards is not unexpected when you understand that the management company that ran it for all of it's 10 years, ran it as a profit center for himself and his cohorts (who also are in various businesses together outside of Connections).

The 5 year comparison financials for Connections from 2006 to 2010. See it at this link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76jsp5rqhja7f1f/2006-2010%20Comparison%20Financials.pdf

show that besides food and beverage, the main expense for Connections was the fees to the management firm! (An average of 26.9% or a total of $777,030.39 for the 5 years) Please note how little was paid out in speaker fees (4.7%) The average net proceeds (15.8%) to the ones that were supposed to benefit (The Associations) were not actual net proceeds as the expenses of the Connections Organization itself had to be taken from the 'Net' proceeds. Very little was left after flights, rooms, legal expenses, Audits and so forth to go back to the Associations. Please note that the 'net' profits continued to go down every year even though the gross taken in was about the same. Also, it doesn't get much better for the next two years. Does this look like good management? Who of you would stand for that if this were your Organization? If you belong to one of the 7 trade association that belong to ICRA, your association management endorsed it and supported it. The 6 that do not belong to ICRA did not! That is why Connections was dissolved!

If anyone thinks that this same management company who did this and who is now running the new ICRA and 7 trade associations that formed it is somehow going to 'get religion' and become a new force for the benefit of the Cleaning and Restoration Industry, and change their self-serving behavior that has been established for 23 years, I have but one thing to say, "Would you like to buy a bridge in Brooklyn?". "A leopard doesn't change his spots" as the saying goes.

It is time that we wake up and realize that there are people out there who are after one thing...Our Money and are willing to do some pretty ugly things to get it. All the while painting themselves as 'volunteers' and benefactors of all.

My only hope is that the IICRC (New and with out baggage) will pull through with it's promise to set up an International Trade Association and will have a Real Trade Show with Real Content that will look out for the best interests of the common carpet cleaner and restorer. I personally believe they will and that is the only convention I will support going forward.

I hope that you too will not support ICRA but will support IICRC

Fritz Thompson
    • Like Like x 1
    Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen Strategies for Success

Director of Training, Jon-Don's Strategies for Suc
    Ratings:
    +1,724 / 6 / -0
    Steve Toburen
    Business Location:
    Dominican Republic
    Wow, Fritz, I hope I never get on your bad side!

Steve

PS Fritz, I share your desire for "real content and education"- no matter what the venue. Our hard working industry deserves no less.
    fritzthompson

fritzthompson New Member

Manager
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Fritz Thompson
    Business Location:
    United States
    Steve,

You my friend, would never stoop to such lows. As a man of principle, if you were in a position of responsibility in a non-profit organization, you would spend the money and treat the assets of the organization as if they were your own. Not as 'found' money to give away to friends and business partners who support you and your organization!!

Fritz
    PS
    Perhaps you can contribute your wisdom and experience in a new venue that will concentrate on 'giving back' to the industry more that what it 'takes'
    Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

Supply
    Ratings:
    +5,663 / 53 / -14
    Business Location:
    United States
    Very interesting.

I wish we had higher standards for education and certification.

Getting IICRC certified is too easy and no one outside us workers and owners in the industry know or care about it.

No unions or the like, but a higher bar and unified theme that can be recognized in the service world.
    • Like Like x 1
    Todd the Cleaner

Owner / Operator
    Ratings:
    +11,631 / 26 / -0
    Todd Cottino
    Business Location:
    United States
    'The Experience' press release

For Immediate Release:
    October 3, 2012
    Experience Events, LLC formed by the original founders of Connections Events and ICRA Announces New Conventions called “The EXPERIENCE” with 2 shows to be held in 2013

Denver, CO — Experience Events, LLC announced that it will hold cleaning and restoration conventions and trade shows in 2013. Experience Events, LLC was formed by the original founders of Connections Events and the International Cleaning and Restoration Association (ICRA) to bring advanced training and education to the programs along with the largest trade shows in the industry.

The newly founded conventions and trade shows, The Experience will be managed and produced by Jennifer Wilkinson who previously held a similar position with Connections Events. Jennifer has over 10 years of experience producing, directing and managing conventions and trade shows. Ms. Wilkinson said that “A new convention committee is being formed from a partnership including ICRA, Industry Instructors and Textile Consultants. The committee will work on a new platform of education utilizing a combination of written materials, classroom training and hands on demonstration. The hands-on demonstrations will be expanded and used to further research, teach and instruct how to apply what is learned in the classroom. We are really excited to bring The EXPERIENCE to the industry and look forward to working with all areas of the industry.”

The trade shows will feature the manufacturers, distributors, suppliers, educators, associations, organizations and others who provided goods and services to the cleaning and restoration industry. The show will feature carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, area rug cleaning, hard surface floor cleaning, sealing and restoration, inspections, water damage restoration, fire damage restoration, mold remediation, trauma scene clean-up, duct cleaning, maintenance type services, basic construction practices, business management, and marketing, training in operations and services and sales training. The goal of these conventions and trade shows is to offer tools and training that individuals and businesses can immediately incorporate into their businesses for growth and greater profits.

“The Experience” shows are scheduled April 18, 19 and 20, 2013 on the beach in Clearwater Beach Florida, and Las Vegas Nevada September 4, 5 and 6, 2013.

Craig Kersemeir, President of ICRA stated, “’The Experience’ will include advanced training modules from ICRA in cleaning and restoration. ICRA will offer these programs at both locations annually.”
    • Like Like x 1
    Todd the Cleaner

Owner / Operator
    Ratings:
    +11,631 / 26 / -0
    Todd Cottino
    Business Location:
    United States
    Along with this announcement I will announce that there will be a 2nd annual TMF dinner in Las Vegas. Start saving up for the fun next year!
    • Like Like x 2
    fritzthompson

fritzthompson New Member

Manager
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Fritz Thompson
    Business Location:
    United States
    Interesting Press Release by ICRA and Resulting Questions

On 10/2/12 ICRA announced the following:

DENVER — The International Cleaning and Restoration Association (ICRA) is now affiliated with the New England Institute of Restoration and Cleaning(NEIRC) and the New York Rug Cleaners Institute (NYRCI), according to a press release.

NEIRC and NYRCI have teamed up with five other trade associations to make up the ICRA membership which provides nationwide benefits and advanced educational opportunities to all members, the release stated.

On 12/13/2011 This was what was released:

12/13/2011
    More News
    trade association update release 12.13
    New International Trade Association Forms as the Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Association
    (ICRA)
    Leaders of Seven National and Regional Cleaning and Restoration Industry trade associations met to
    develop a memorandum of understanding to further define a unified industry affiliation
    agreement. The Seven Associations who have agreed to work together include: SCRT, MCRA, MSPCA,
    PACR, CRA, NYRCI and NEIRC. The team has moved forward very rapidly and is planning a January
    start date of full operations.
    12/13/2011
    More News
    New International Trade Association Forms as the Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Association
    (ICRA)
    Leaders of Seven National and Regional Cleaning and Restoration Industry trade associations met to
    develop a memorandum of understanding to further define a unified industry affiliation
    agreement. The Seven Associations who have agreed to work together include: SCRT, MCRA, MSPCA,
    PACR, CRA, NYRCI and NEIRC. The team has moved forward very rapidly and is planning a January
    start date of full operations.
    12/13/2011
    More News
    (ICRA)
    PACR, CRA, NYRCI and NEIRC.
    12/13/2011
    More News trade association update release 12.13
    New International Trade Association Forms as the Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Association (ICRA)
    Leaders of Seven National and Regional Cleaning and Restoration Industry trade associations met to develop a memorandum of understanding to further define a unified industry affiliation agreement. The Seven Associations who have agreed to work together include: SCRT, MCRA, MSPCA, PACR, CRA, NYRCI and NEIRC. The team has moved forward very rapidly and is planning a January start date of full operations.
    Two questions. Why is this press release out announcing the addition of NYRCI and NEIRC when they already said they were a part of ICRA in December of 2011?

Second Question:
    The changing of the name of an association is a big thing. ICRA has changed it's name from the Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Association to the International Cleaning and Restoration Association. Why the change and why no press release?

Is something going on behind the scenes that they don't want us to know about? Why the secrecy?
    • Like Like x 1
    fritzthompson

fritzthompson New Member

Manager
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Fritz Thompson
    Business Location:
    United States

When a man with 'Experience' meets a man with money...

The man with 'Experience' gets the Money...

And the man with the money gets the 'Experience'!!!

No doubt this will apply to those who put their trust in the ICKY group!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    J

J Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +423 / 0 / -0
    J
    Business Location:
    United States
    it's a freaking cleaning tradeshow....'the experience'...give me a break....the actual show was the least memorable of all my 'experiences' in Vegas last month
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    admin

admin Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +1,378 / 4 / -0
    Robert Allen III 'Tre'
    Business Location:
    United States
    Just a note, I merged both of these threads together :)
    Tom@britefloors

Tom@britefloors Active Member

Ratings:
    +311 / 2 / -0
    Tom Binyon
    Business Location:
    United States
    There is little doubt that trade show promoters make big dollars. Some that I have known are real sleeze bags. They rip off all the vendors with exhorbitent prices for meeting and floor space, and then try to put on "side shows" to get to money from the industry participants. Trade Associations are akin to unions, in that their main incentive is to collect dues to pay the association founders/leaders.

I clean the corporate offices for the owner of Treasure Island in Vegas. If there enough interest from TMF members, I'll look into meeting space and rooms for our own stinking convention, and we'll call it "Disconnections". I'll do it for free and post all the financial information right here on TMF.

No one will be able to convince me that we don't have the talent associated right here on TMF to put together a meaningful program that would actually increase our collective knowledge and skills.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    LarryJones

LarryJones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +896 / 35 / -20
    Larry Jones
    Business Location:
    United States
    You have a fantastic idea Tom! Who needs those greedy conniving scumbags at the top from Connections Events Corporation-ICRA -Experience Events LLC. I really hope Rob Allen has the time to help coordinate something along the lines of what you propose here. A new industry trade show convention put together by TMF members! Rob is not greedy and would put the best interests of us in the industry first. I propose putting the first convention in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I used to live in Myrtle Beach and know they have top notch hotel and convention facilities there. And the entertainment is fabulous too! C'mon Rob.....please give this some thought and say you'll do it! :)