Chicken or Egg?

Discussion in 'General Carpet Cleaning & Upholstery Discussion' started by gregcole, Sep 18, 2009.

1. gregcole

gregcole New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Greg Cole
    Business Location:
    United States
    Xactimate bases their prices off what contractors are paid by the insurance companies. Insurance companies pay based on what Xactimate says the price is. Contractor is told he either goes with Xactimate rates or he is blacklisted. The price for a 200max dehu in Atlanta has been stuck at $101.25 for 7 years!
    Each uses each other as an excuse for not changing the rate.
    So which came first the chicken or the egg?
  2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +12,687 / 34 / -0
    Robert Allen,Jr.
    Business Location:
    United States
    It sure is aggravating isn't it Greg. It's like a catch 22 situation. That's why I like to get to the homeowner first before they have contacted the insurance company. I explain to them how it works and how I put quality first. Quality comes at a price and someone has to pay for it.

No price increase for 7 years is tantamount to price fixing imho. :mad:

Didn't Xactimate and the insurance companies get in trouble for price fixing recently?? :AddEmoticons04259:
  3. Blind Dr

Blind Dr New Member

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    Gary
    Business Location:
    United States
    It is a nice reference tool as far as I am concerned. I still work with the homeowner, i don't care what the insurance company will pay. After all they are not reducing the rates to consumers and that is what I tell homeowners i work with. I also tell them perhaps the next time your homeowners insurance is due explain to them that xactimate will only allow you to pay x dollars not what they are asking and see what kind of a reaction you will get.
  4. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen Strategies for Success

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 6 / -0
    Steve Toburen
    Business Location:
    Dominican Republic
    I never argued prices with an adjuster. Instead, I would just "recalculate" the bill and add in more services to where the home owner was cared for and I made a profit.

I found that good adjusters wanted me to make a reasonable profit on each job. If I didn't, I wouldn't be around long and for sure the adjuster did not want to be out there at 3 AM sucking water! You just need to look out for the young ones that haven't learned the ropes yet and want to "earn their spurs" by beating you down! :)

Steve Toburen
    Director of Training and expert in "getting along" with the insurance community
    Jon-Don's Strategies for Success
    www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS This is exactly the subject I spoke on in Las Vegas last week. If you missed Connections you can download my seminar here:

http://www.strategiesforsuccess.com.../recession-proofing-your-restoration-business
  5. Blind Dr

Blind Dr New Member

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    Gary
    Business Location:
    United States
    Not able to log in or register at the site at all.
  6. Steve Toburen

Steve Toburen Strategies for Success

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 6 / -0
    Steve Toburen
    Business Location:
    Dominican Republic
    Wassup, Gary?

I'm sorry to hear about the "registering" issue, Gary. If you go to the top topic bar and click on the third button from the left that says "subscribe" there is a quick, one-time-only, step by step process you go through. (Be sure to write down your user name and the password that is e-mailed to you and you won't have to register in again.)

Chuck, Big Billy and I are really busting our humps on this site and we want as many as possible to benefit from it.

Steve
    www.StrategiesForsuccess.com

PS If after all this you are still hitting snags, Gary, just send me your e-mail and a phone number (incluiding the best day/time to call) and I'll have our on-line producer contact you personally. Thanks for your patience.