Best mold killer

Discussion in 'Water, Fire & Mold Restoration' started by dmreed4311, Dec 19, 2011.

dmreed4311

dmreed4311 Well-Known Member

Carpet cleaner
    Ratings:
    +3,436 / 11 / -0
    David Reed
    Business Location:
    United States
    What is the best chemical to kill mild on baseboards? I need a chemical that does not bleach carpet because it will most definately get on the carpet.
    Citrasolution

Citrasolution Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Curt
    Business Location:
    United States
    How about peroxide? 27%? But dont get it on your hands.
    Frank DiGi

Frank DiGi Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +3,683 / 2 / -0
    Frank DiGi
    Business Location:
    United States
    Microban I like..
    DamageClean

DamageClean Active Member

Ratings:
    +147 / 0 / -0
    Brent Johnson
    Business Location:
    United States
    Empowered water.
    Aldon

Aldon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Al Beers
    Business Location:
    United States
    Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor Premium VIP

Technical support Bridgepoint
    Ratings:
    +4,302 / 7 / -1
    Often when I hear a question about "killing" mold, what the person really wants to know is how to get rid of the stain caused by the mold.

On some surfaces the stain can be washed off with a little detergent. On other surfaces it may require an oxidizer. A mild oxidizer will not harm most carpet, but stronger oxidizers will take the color out and otherwise damage some carpet. You need to know the fiber you are working with.

If cleaning with a detergent doesn't take it off, then try mild peroxide like you get in the little brown bottle. I would avoid the 27% as it can discolor some carpet.

The best way to kill mold is to get the material dry. Mold needs water. If there is no moisture, it will die.

There are several good products for killing mold - Microban, Benefect, Sporicidin and others. But some folks may be sensitive to some chemicals, so be careful.

Also "dead" mold is not healthy anymore than live mold. I compare it to having mice in your house. Do you want to kill the mice or do you want the mice gone? Traps will kill the mice, but dead mice laying around would be very unhealthy. Same principle with mold, you want to get rid of it, not just kill it.
    XM_Industries

XM_Industries Member

Sales
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Brent Armstrong
    Business Location:
    United States
    Great points Scott, I too would stay away from the 27% solutions. H2O2 is typically safe for synthetic materials and wood surfaces, but high concentrations can still damage sensitive areas. This is one of the reasons we use 8% H2O2 plus an additive for Blast-Off instead of the typical high concentration cleaner. It's also MUCH easier to work with.

Also, as for killing vs. removing the mold spores. Dead mold will actually show up on a mold sample test, and many types of molds can cause the same types of allergic reactions to humans whether they are dead or living. Removing the water source may cause the mold to go dormant (which can stay dormant for hundreds or thousands of years), but it will not cause the mold spores to disappear. Most disinfectants on the market require the area to be cleaned before disinfecting. This is the market we push for Blast-Off, to clean the surface and then determine if disinfecting is necessary.

If you are dealing with very small amounts of surface mold isolated completely on the baseboard, I would recommend a simple solution of a disinfecting soap/detergent. However, as was stated, mold needs moisture to grow. You have to ask yourself if there is a way for the moisture to only be on the outer face of the baseboard, and not have the potential to seep to the bottom/back of the baseboards. More times than not, visible mold on the surface is a sign of mold on the back as well.
    markcooper

markcooper New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mark cooper
    Business Location:
    United States
    i there's not much damage then just washing out with some soaping agent will be enough i think, otherwise Microban can be used
    Nutstyle

Nutstyle Premium VIP

Ratings:
    +117 / 1 / -0
    Alberto Rivero
    Business Location:
    United States
    Interlink has a new product called concrobium. It says its spray and go.
    Rick F

Rick F Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -0
    richard fall
    Business Location:
    United States
    I was at a seminar for water damage yesterday and the sales rep from concrobium was there. It looked like a great product he had before and after pics. The old timers had trouble believing it worked that good so they tested it on wood. I didnt stick around to see the result, if i talk to anyone who stuck around ill post results.
    Scott W

Scott W Preferred Vendor Premium VIP

Technical support Bridgepoint
    Ratings:
    +4,302 / 7 / -1
    I've seen photos and reports from the Concrobium test. The results look very good. They have two products. One is to kill the mold. The other is to remove the mold stains. Two different things.
    XM_Industries

XM_Industries Member

Sales
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Brent Armstrong
    Business Location:
    United States
    My guess would be the difference in products is due to EPA Registration. By naming the product "Mold Control" Implies a disinfectant and therefor requires EPA Registration. However, by adding the word "Stain" between "Mold" and "Remover" declassifies it as a Pesticide under FIFRA, and therefor the Mold Stain Remover is classified as a cleaner and doesn't require EPA Registration.
    xJohnx

xJohnx New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    John Brees
    Business Location:
    United States
    Best bet would be to pull the affected baseboard from wall, mix up a pail with dishwater solution, like Dawn, just some mild dishsoap, wipe it down, wipe the wall behind it down also. Then you could spray with an anti-microbial of your choice, dry it out, and re-install the baseboard. Only way to be sure to get any unseen microbes from surrounding area. This is only recommended for a minimal amount of mold.
    Dale

Dale Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys:

Concrobium is being advertised in R&R magazine, and is being sold at most hardware stores. But I have never heard of any restoration company using it. Since Interlink is selling it, surely some Pros have used it? If it's as good as they (Concrobium) says, would it not be prudent to check it out, so that the "non-Pro" does not have an edge?

Sincerely,
    Dale
    www.flooringinspector.com
    cleve.goddard

cleve.goddard New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    cleve
    Business Location:
    United States
    A Rotozip could cut the baseboards in place, but you would have to be very cautious. Those things can be difficult to control! Practice first or contact to the expertise.